need a good fish taxidermist

Submitted by tommy on 11/14/05 at 4:12 PM. ( tommyh@snowflake.k12.az.us ) 70.98.191.2

need a good fish taxidermist, that can do me a trout soon.
thanks
tommy

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Are you a good customer?

This response submitted by Rick Krane on 11/14/05 at 5:49 PM. ( rmkinc1@msn.com ) 70.109.133.57

Don't mean to sound like a wise guy but I bet there is about 1000 taxidermist out there that want to ask that same question to there customers. There are many good taxidermists (fish or other wise) out there and even a few great one I would gather. Your question is not complete however (in my humble opinion). What is it that you're looking for? Sure a good fish mount, I got that, however is it time or price that will make you choose your fish taxidermist and not quality as you are believing your looking for...

It is not so hard or difficult to search out the best in any one of the traditional aspects of out trade. Many current and former award winning artist are spread all over the country. Let's look at some thing before you make your decision or your phone call to the shipping company.

Quality, time and last price should be how it works when comes down to decision making but more times then not a customer wants a good amount (what ever that means to them) but really wants a good mount for a competitive price and wants it ASAP. Nothing wrong with that by the way juts keep in mind there is a cost to every thing be it time or quality.

Choice wisely my friend you only have the one fish (unless you have a repro made it).
Award winning some times means just that a honest and devoted amount of work went in to the one piece that may have one a taxidermist a particular honor, however ask them if that is what they complete for there customers as a general body of work. Before I get in to much trouble here. That is not to say that these artist do a bait an switch all it means is that a top quality award winning leave a mount may and does requires so much more additional time that will be charged for in addition for this type of quality above the typical work they do day to day commercially. So ask before you assume and feel cheated. You get what you pay for in most cases( in most cases).

I will go out on the deep end here and get a bit opinionated( LOL who me). A good fish will be around 15-20 per inch that should be fair today and a turn around should be around 4-10 mouths. Of course this is all opinion and means less than nothing. Remember one thing that is just about never talked about in our industry and I let you in on it... There are no standards what so ever. Good in some circles is not in others. A blue ribbon at one competition may be a second place in or a third from one show to the next and visa versa (being a judge I hear of this all the time).

Why do I mention it? Well I think honestly if we can agree (LOL) the only thing we can say has a standard is poor quality work. After all you can look a mount and say "hey that looks like ... well fill in the blank) and it cost $xxx.xx so establishing the price of poor quality work. What should good work go for? No one needs to have a fish mount right? We want to however and any time there is a want we have at that point opened up negotiations for cost, time and quality. Ask your self does a microwave sell at Wal-Mart for less in neighborhood then it does in mine? Does Ford or Chevy sell a truck for any less in my neighborhood give or take? Rolex, Timex, both tell time and both are great watches, however one is $20-100.00 and the other $ thousands more (both companies do very well despite there diverse prices because they have a standard they follow... They both tell time for a price).

My point is you asked for a good fish taxidermist just ask your self one more question would you do business with a "good) taxidermist if you found one that did great work but was out of your price range or couldn't meet your expectation of delivery time?

Just asking? I want you to find what you're looking for and I hope they are and do the best job they can for you! Just like to get customers thinking when I hear common questions. It helps both you and the taxidermist be better partners.

My Best!
Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry

Lone Star Taxidermy

This response submitted by Steve on 11/14/05 at 6:44 PM. ( slw77@netzero.com ) 64.136.49.226

Call Jon Wilson at Lone Star Taxidermy 830-237-9481. He does wholesale fish for me and does an excellent job.
Steve

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu