Pricing Repairs?

Submitted by Hess Taxidermy on 11/15/05 at 10:43 PM. ( hesstaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 209.74.2.131

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with pricing a repair job on a muskie? It feel off the guys wall, the head broke off, the back split open, the wood block popped out, and a fin got cracked. I fixed all of this and got it painted up tonight, I put his fish on a new piece of driftwood, cuz he wanted a new diffeent looking piece. I was just hoping someone could give me a good idea of what to charge him for this? I was think somewhere aroudn $75-$100 does that sound like to much or not enough or what? It took me about 4-5 hrs. total to fix it all. Any answers would be great, Thanks, Kevin

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

T&M

This response submitted by lee on 11/15/05 at 11:01 PM. ( ) 70.110.37.12

Time and materials, i charge 30/hr but advise the customer first so there is no suprises when he gets the bill. its up to you

Free

This response submitted by Craig G on 11/15/05 at 11:59 PM. ( ) 70.157.20.109

I would do it for free lifetime warrenty.

You should already have your hourly repair rate posted

This response submitted by Craig on 11/16/05 at 7:54 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

$30 per hour is not TOO much for your skills and overhead! Then when a customer brings something like this in you can ESTIMATE how much time it might take. Always write it up with an estimated time to repair as you never know what you might run into. I think you should be more in the $150 range. Don't short yourself.

You didn't mention whether you originally mounted the fish for this customer. If so I would definitely be a little more lenient with the repair price, especially if it fell off the wall.

Just the painting alone should be atleast a hundy!

This response submitted by Marc on 11/16/05 at 3:14 PM. ( ) 70.225.10.62

Then you add in the repair of a broken off head,etc? Remember, that mount means so much to the customer that they want it repaired (WITHOUT A QUOTE). Sounds like closer to 200.00 might be right. I love repair work and might even stretch the cost further if it were me.How much do you charge for driftwood? How much is your yellow page add and your heat costing you? How about your expertise which took yrs to perfect. Your not throwing that in free are you? You get my drift!

I know some say they can be profitable but...

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/16/05 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

I usually turn them down. The just slow my regular production work down, and what I would have to have for the pain in the ass they are is more than the customer wants to part with. I end up doing more than must repainting them.

When I am asked to repaint a fish of a lifetime that was mounted so poorly it looks like someone had to actually try and do them so bad I just want to cry.

I repainted the world record smallmouth a while back that wouldn't have even placed in the amateur division of any show. It was a crying shame. The original taxidermist never skinned the tail junction out completely and it was severely shrunken. The orginal fish had a distended abdomen and the taxidermist never bothered to put that back in. What a shame.

Heay cecil...

This response submitted by Marc on 11/16/05 at 10:12 PM. ( ) 70.224.241.34

Was that the smallie from Dale hollow?

everything everybody said

This response submitted by Tenbears on 11/16/05 at 10:33 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.5

Is on the money Except Craig G. I give a lifetime warrantee too. But it does not include drooping the mount. or smoke stains. $30.00 per hour is a fair price for repair work. But one must consider what you bill your normal work out at. If you charge 250 for a deer that takes you 4 hours. And you have $50.00 in materials. Then your billable rate would be $50.00 per hour. to do anything for less would cost you money as you would be loosing out on the time invested. Only you know what you must charge. figure your rate. And charge that. I would say $30.00 per hour should be the bare minimum. But then again I do not live amidst the coal mines of Eastern Ky.

Yeah it was the one that took the place

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/16/05 at 10:43 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

of the one that was disqualified. The one that was disqualified was 11 lbs plus. This one was 10 lbs. plus.

This fish had been repainted before and that paint job was not too bad but for some reason had faded out.

I did some extra work on it but it was still an amateur level mounting job. What a shame.

Repainted I believe the Michigan state record smallmouth a while back that was about 9 lbs. The taxidermist put it into such a curve it almost came full circle. What a frigging joke!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu