New to airbrushing fish replicas

Submitted by Frank and Bonnie Migliore on 11/16/05 at 10:37 AM. ( bfmiglio@bwwonline.com ) 208.252.179.21

Bonnie is the awesome artist; I am her information source gatherer. She has been a professional artist for about 35 years; mostly in hand painting; futniture decorating, sign painting, oils, water colors, handpainting automotive paints, china, striping and gold leaf. Although incredibly talented, airbrushing fish replicas is new for her. Are there any good instructional videos or dvds or short term classes available in southwest NY/northeast PA area? Any beginner info would be so much appreciated; Thanks!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Paint schedules

This response submitted by Ryan on 11/17/05 at 3:16 PM. ( ) 67.136.217.231

If you are already farmiliar with the use of an airbrush, I would reccomend hitting the suppliers tab you see above and finding yourself some paint schedules for the various kinds of fish you are looking to paint. I would highly recommend purchasing at least a couple different schedule books and see different schedules developed by different artists. This will allow you to develop your own method based on what works best for you. Good luck (Real Fish is a good one, Van Dykes has it).

Make sure you put some scale detail down first

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/18/05 at 6:56 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

There are many ways to do this but the most common is to paint a dark brown over the scaled areas of the fish but not the belly. Then rub off the high spots with fine steel wool. This adds detail that will show throught he paint and add more realism.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu