Spotted sea trout

Submitted by Jason on 11/18/05 at 10:10 AM. ( jasonbossley@hotmail.com ) 12.5.202.176

Wanted, fish man or woman to do a skin mount. I have a customer that caught a 31+"speck. Email me if you are interested, price and turnaround time. Also send me a picture if you have one.
Thanks Jason

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

No you don't

This response submitted by George on 11/18/05 at 11:46 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.8

MOST taxidermists won't skin mount salt water fish. There'll be some on here who'll volunteer or tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Have them do it and then drop me a line in 5 years and tell me just how great it looks.

Definitely Do-able!

This response submitted by Bill on 11/18/05 at 6:56 PM. ( billburns@pobox.com ) 71.67.160.153

Hello Jason,
Although many taxidermists may be unfamiliar with salt-water fish mounting and prefer to use reproductions, it is definitely do-able! I've been doing them for more than 20 years in Florida with great success. I have tarpon, snook, redfish, and trout (inshore) of my own that have been mounted close to 10 years and have never had a problem. If you would like to see pics, or call references, I have both. Email me for further info if you're interested.
Bill

See Jason, there's one

This response submitted by George on 11/18/05 at 8:40 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.8

Contact Bill and let him do it for you. Or call New Wave and let Mike Kirkhart give you a replica that your great great grandkids can look at when there aren't any trout that big left in the ocean.

Good Answer

This response submitted by Bill on 11/19/05 at 10:09 AM. ( ) 71.67.160.153

Jason,

Although George may not be from Fla or do salt-water skin mounts, he is definitely informed regarding the fiberglass reproductions. Mike Kirkhart has by far the best reproduction fish that I know of. (I use them myself) And to affirm George's response, they will outlive you. But if you want YOUR ACTUAL FISH mounted, you may do that as well and expect the same outcome. If money's not an issue, do both and test it for yourself!

Best wishes to you and your trophy,
Bill

PS. George, just like to say thanks for all your informed counsel that you contribute to Taxidermy Net. I've appreciated a lot of it!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu