King Salmon Paint Scedule (spawning)

Submitted by Ludman on 11/20/05 at 3:42 PM. ( lodholtz@yahoo.com ) 209.247.222.47

anyone, got a paint schedule for a spawning run, male king salmon (michigan) darker olive and green coloration, please help if you can

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Sorry for the delay

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/21/05 at 11:49 AM. ( jjbaird@ligtel.com ) 64.184.41.69

I meant to respond to you earlier but got busy and forgot about your post. I assumed someone else would help. Not so I guess. If you don't have one you really need to get you a good picture of a live fish as a reference. This is for a Great Lakes fall chinook. West Coast Chinooks many times have some reddish tones on their flanks.

1.) Silver Pearl or Chrome Pearlescent. Lightly paint the flanks of the fish and belly. Also heavily on the cheeks and opercles of the cast head. This is used as a base. The original live fish still has this under the overlying color even when it is darkening in the spawning phases. However it really won't show much after your other colors (at least for the olive/brown phases) but will add some spunk to your colors and where it shows through will add some realism. It kind of metallizes your subsequent colors.

2.) Dark Brown or Rich Brown. Use this color and add black if needed to get the right color to blend the top of your head to the body. Also use it to blend in light and dark areas of the fish.

3.) Yellow Ochre. I use this color sparingly to get the Olive component back into the brown skin. Use your discretion. I also use it on top of the head and side of the head and will darken it later to have it become more of an oliver brown color.

4.) Dark brown again over the head to get it to blend in with the body. And where needed.

5. Black again to put some duskiness on the lower flanks and lower head. Use on the head if needed. Now add retarder to your black until you can paint fine detail. Paint all your spots on the fish hopefully over the original markings that are still there but faint. Make sure your spots are crisp and confined. Notice many of the markings on the upper part of the fish are sharp edged and not round.

6. White. Paint the inside of the mouth heavy and after putting a few sealer coats on the head of the fish, paint in your detail as in behind the mandible between the branchiolstegel rays etc. One trick to get a clean look to this is to use lacquer paints for you fish but use this color in water base. Paint your detail and quickly take off the overspray with a Q-tip and Windex.

Clearcoat and if you need to make any adjustments do so before your additonal clear coats.

BTW if any of you doubt some fall spawning salmonids

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/21/05 at 8:08 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

still have silver underneath the fall colors... I recently sanded a fall steelhead that had turned darker than I wanted. I was amazed to uncover a chromish layer!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu