what a mess

Submitted by pjk on 11/20/05 at 10:40 PM. ( ) 24.66.94.140

Just started to skin out a gold eye(just for practice not a customers)how do you keep the scales from coming off I just need to look at the fish and they fall out,also the meat is just mush.Do I have a bad fish or are all goldeyes like this.Are there secrets to a goldeye I'm being as gental as I can but its just not working. thanks. pjk

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

A few things....

This response submitted by Rick Krane on 11/21/05 at 7:23 AM. ( rmkinc1@msn.com ) 70.109.154.68

I have been here so many times in the past when I first started out 10000 years ago. A few things you could d that may help if in fact the fish is good and not spoiled.

1.) Cover the fish in borax rubbing on to the scales side while skinning. This some times will help in absorbing moisture that can and does make things more difficult in this skinning part of the program. Also once you have tie skin semi open as you skin you can sprinkle the borax onto the skin side as well to get a better grip which helps in how you are handling the fish skin. The less pulling and unnecessary abuse of the skin the better.

2.) Try skinning the fish semi frozen. I personal like to skin a heavily scaled fish when it is semi frozen (a bit spongy to the touch. After you get the main body out the head my still be a bit frozen and you can thaw it in some water at this point to allow you to finish the skinning steps. This is how I have been going at it for some time now and I have found d that it does cut down on the issue at hand.

I hope this may help you in some way...

My Best

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale, NH 03451
603-336-7296

A few other tips

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/21/05 at 10:25 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

Soak the fish in denatured alcohol before skining, or, salt the show side down heavily for about 20 minutes before skinning. Don't rinse the salt off until you go to the scraping phase.

Here's what I do on all delicate fish: I take the carcass out in sections with my curved scissors to reduce the stress on the skin. It works great on crappies. Don't worry about leaving lots of meat ont he skin before scraping. It will come off when you scrape or snip and it's less stressful on the skin.

Also if you are scraping a skin with your scraper tool and it just doesn't want to come off clean (rather tenacious) and you're afraid of putting too much pressure on the skin, scrape with a fresh scalpel blade and change the blade often. Just be careful.

Whoops meant to say "more tips"

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/21/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

Wouldn't want to try and say my tips were better. LOL

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu