lobster taxidermy

Submitted by Jeremy on 11/21/05 at 4:36 PM. ( j_mirick@hotmail.com ) 24.25.183.149

I have been searching, without any good fortune, to figure out the process of creating the taxidermy of a lobster. My main concern is how to remove the soft tissue without boiling the lobster and turning it red. Do I need to remove the tissue, or can I seal it in with some sort of sealant? I have a blue lobster as well as a calico, that I would like to preserve in their natural color. Please advise.
Many Thanks in advance.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Its a puzzle

This response submitted by Matthew Klope on 11/21/05 at 6:42 PM. ( ) 138.163.128.42

I did a Puget Sound Rock Crab a few years ago and it turned out great. I did not boil - like you stated for color preservation. I carefully disarticulated the entire crab. Keeping all the parts in order I then cleaned all the meat out. Once cleaned I reassembled and as I did I slid in short wires and backfilled a two part foam that hardned in a few minutes. After the crab completly dried I air brushed the color back. It really turned out nice.

Whidbey Island Taxidermy, WA

doesnt matter

This response submitted by newbirdman on 11/22/05 at 6:09 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

Jeremy , it doesn matter what your do , once all the meat is out its going to turn brown ,of lose most of the color , just like a skin mount fish . You have to paint the lobster in the end so do what you have to , to remove the meat . I did a 12lb lobster and the guy cooked it first so he could eat it and then I broke apart every joint and cleaned out all the meat and glued it back together . Rick

Cook it

This response submitted by JL on 11/22/05 at 10:08 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.144

I do several lobsters (Atlantic Lobsters) here in the shop and have done some that were so odd-colored that they defied discription. I've done blue,almost white, pumpkin color,half pumpkin and half natural color,took reference pictures and cooked all of them then airbrushed the colors back the same as doing a fish.I refuse to do a lobster unless I cook it and have lost a few jobs because some customers think like you...that you can keep the color if you don't cook it.You're up against a lost cause thinking as you do...good luck. JL

Breakthrough

This response submitted by Dave Hyer on 11/22/05 at 12:13 PM. ( ) 68.249.226.167

There was a step by step in Breakthrough last year on mounting a lobster

I did an article

This response submitted by JL on 11/22/05 at 9:30 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.187

last year for Taxidermy Today that outlined the steps for mounting an Atlantic lobster.However the first step was to cook it. Good luck JL

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu