Seatrout skin problem

Submitted by Peter Span on 11/25/05 at 2:46 AM. ( pspannen@science.uva.nl ) 145.18.163.33

Hi everybody,

I' ve mounted my first seatrout (Salmo trutta) and it turned out pretty good. I degreased the skin as good as I could and I haven't had any grease problems except for some scaleless parts on the back where the skin is also thicker (old scars?). Here some grease is coming out of the skin. Is it enough to wipe the grease off with some degreaser, or should I remove the thicher parts of the skin. And if I have to remove them, what should I use to fill them up again. I' m afraid epoxy will crack eventually. Hope you can give me some advice.

Greetings Peter

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu


grease problems

This response submitted by Jason on 11/25/05 at 5:43 AM. ( ) 207.200.116.72

I had the same thing happen to me on a Salmon mount. If you remove the grease area then fill in with epoxy it will crack eventually due to humidty and temperature changes. I wiped the grease off with acetone wait a few days to make sure no more grease was coming through then sealed the fish good and painted it. That was two years ago and there have been no problems.


How did you degrease it in the first place?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/25/05 at 7:21 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

From my experience with freshwater salmonids (could be your saltwater salmonid is worse), if you skin and scrape the skin as good as it can possibly (I scrape with a scalpel for areas where the tissue and fat is more tenacious) and then soak overnight in minteral spirts followed by a washing in a degreasing detergent, you shouldn't have any problems.

My greasiest salmonid the lake trout (Salvelius namaycush) comes out greaseless this way.


Cecil

This response submitted by Peter Span on 11/25/05 at 8:03 AM. ( ) 145.18.163.33

After scraping I washed the fish in dawn detergent and I did soak it in mineral spirits, but only for an hour. Is it harmless to leave the skin in there for so long? Then I will do that the next time. Thanks for your response.

Greetings Peter


Peter I leave them in overnight

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 11/25/05 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.69

Not sure at what point it's long enough just know what works for me. I use the Dawn AFTER I soak it in the mineral spirits. As long as your Mineral Spirits does not smell rancid I don't see how overnight can be bad for a skin.

Yes, even your Mineral Sprits can go rancid. I believe what happens is after you use it so many times you inadvertantly add water to the mineral spirts and eventually there it's mostly water with rancid greases and fats. Once that occurs you skin can actually fall apart from the bacteria.


I use basically the same degreasing method as...

This response submitted by marty on 11/26/05 at 6:13 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...Cecil. And you do indeed need to leave the skin in the mineral spirits longer. Greasiest/slimiest fish I've ever done was a 32 pound Lake Michigan Laker. The only real thing left on it was it's skin. I cast the head, fins and tail just to be safe. Skin was left in Mineral spirits 24 hours (about the most you want to do otherwise the Mineral Spirits WILL deteriorate your fish skin - eventually into a gooey-mess if you leave it in there too long. Did this years ago when first starting thinking M.S. was a preservative - NOT!) All Salmon, Trout, Pike and Musky go into the M.S. at least overnight. Then they get repeated baths in Dawn and clean water. Until I feel confident I've gotten as much grease out as possible. No grease-bleeding problems on any of my fish to date (knock on wood!)


Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu