how to clean a dusty fish mount?

Submitted by Barb Bailey on 12/2/05 at 8:49 PM. ( panthra@iname.com ) 205.188.117.6

I have a large mount of a muskie that is thick with dust. What should and can I use to clean it? It's about 10 years old.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

barb

This response submitted by jeff on 12/2/05 at 10:07 PM. ( ) 162.39.58.98

just run it under water,and wipe off carefully.

After you run it under water

This response submitted by JL on 12/2/05 at 10:32 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.173

You can get the residual dust off by wiping with a slice of white bread. The small amount of shortening in the bread will cause the dust to adhere to the bread and it also adds a shine that won't damage the gloss finish or the paint. Just an old tip from an old taxidermist...lol. JL

glass or skin ?

This response submitted by newbirdman on 12/3/05 at 5:07 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.136

If its a fiberglass repro , just wash it with a wet sponge . A skin mount you have to be more careful . Wipe with the scales from the head to the tail . Rick

Run it under water?

This response submitted by marty on 12/3/05 at 10:02 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Are you guys serious? I'd be afraid of water seeping in somewhere. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that.

First thing I do is blow it off with air - whether with my compressor or you can use compressed air (for computers/keyboards) to get the main layer of dust off. The I just use a damp, soft cloth to get the remaining residue off. Head to tail of course. I've never tried the bread method, but I understand it works. Next "dust-bucket" I get I'll have to try it...

I agree with Marty

This response submitted by Cecil - Baird Fish Taxidermy and Fish Farm on 12/3/05 at 11:36 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.104

I wouldn't want to run water over a fish either for the above reasons. But maybe I'm being too cautious. I've see where other taxidermists have left voids under the gill girdle bone or inside the head under the gill flap. Wouldn't want water to pool inside there or run under the skin. You never know what you get in if someone else did the work. What if they used a water base clear coat and paint? Could you cause damage?

There are also things out there to commercially to take dust off of items. The wife uses some kind of dust clothes. Never tried them on a fish yet.

I have a customer...

This response submitted by marty on 12/3/05 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...that owns a restaurant that I'm doing a replica for. He has many mounts in his restaurant that were in dire need of cleaning. He didn't want to pay my price to clean them so he did it himself. He ended up using "Swiffers" to get rid of the dust. He said they look amazingly good! Now I don't know if I'd recommend them as I'm not sure what's in them. But has anybody else out there tried cleaning their dusty fish with Swiffers? (I'll bet bread is cheaper still - lol!)

Did I hear..Bread ? What the '+# Heck !

This response submitted by Buck on 12/3/05 at 12:23 PM. ( ) 62.180.18.95

Bread ? Never heard of that ! And sure as all heck would ONLY use a sponge (DAMP) at best,...Bread ? BUT ..I got an old fish in the Garage that I'll try it on.. Buck...

Bread Diden't work ! HaHa...Ha!

This response submitted by Buck on 12/3/05 at 4:15 PM. ( ) 62.180.196.253

Did I forget the Peanut Butter & Jelly ? Buck...

dusty fish cleaning

This response submitted by Barb Bailey on 12/3/05 at 9:34 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I actually thought of a hair dryer to blow the dust off then using a damp sponge. ~Barb

Simple Green ! Just tried it, It Works good.

This response submitted by Buck on 12/5/05 at 3:36 AM. ( michael.rodgers@web.de ) 83.176.143.30

Gave the Bread to the birds- and tried, Simple Green, Took off most of the dirt, let it dry,washed it a 2nd time , looked real good so I hit her with the gloss coat, looks like new. Buck...

Hair dryer doesn't have enough...

This response submitted by marty on 12/5/05 at 9:32 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...power to blow off much dust, there's too much broad coverage with a hair dryer to get any PSI's going...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu