carving question

Submitted by woody on 12/7/05 at 4:43 AM. ( ) 81.197.176.15

Hello folks! I was wondering what would be the best wood to fishcarvings? I know you yankees use jelutong and tupelo, but here in skandinavia it's really hard to get those woods. We have such a soft woodbrands as apache and balsa, but i think that balsawood is too soft. Apache is quite good, but you need to glue pieces together, because there isn't available enough thick pieses of wood. I have also made my carvings from alder, but wasn't very happy with that either. Any suggestions?

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

How are you finishing it?

This response submitted by AndyO on 12/7/05 at 10:06 AM. ( ajossola@yahoo.com ) 68.252.194.252

Woody, are you going to stain, paint of leave unfinished?

If your painting the piece, I would use the Apache. It's readily available and you say its quite good. Glue-ups are a part of the game, as is using bondo. Can you get basswood?

By the way, Jelutong is getting hard to find anywhere.

www.fishcarver.com

This response submitted by Paul B on 12/7/05 at 11:10 AM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

Go there

decorative carvings

This response submitted by woody on 12/7/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 81.197.176.15

thanks andy and paul for your response, i think i'm going to use apache,it's quite easy to handle and find, but not so cheap. i'm doing just decorative carvings but i do have an interest about naturals also.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu