Blackfin Tuna Eyes

Submitted by Eddie on 12/12/05 at 6:41 AM. ( ndawoods25@aol.com ) 40.0.40.10

I am going to do my 1 fiberglass repro. I am doing a Blackfin tuna. The size I picked has an eye of 32mm. Cant find an eye that big. Do I use a flint eye and paint it, or do I have other choices? Thx Eddie

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Ref. photo's

This response submitted by Cole on 12/12/05 at 8:12 AM. ( Michael@saltwatertrophies.com ) 65.81.79.127

On most saltwater fish the flint eye is the best choice. Get a good reference photo of a black fins tuna's eye and paint the flint eye to match.

Thanks
Cole

Try Jim Allred Supply

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 12/12/05 at 11:42 AM. ( ) 71.242.35.78

They have salt water flex eyes up to 46mm.

Tuna eyes are not round

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 12/12/05 at 10:25 PM. ( Jeff@jeffsfishmounts.com ) 66.215.248.190

The eyes of fish in the tuna family are somewhat different from other fish eyes. They are not perfectly round, but more oblong kinda like a pike's eye. The pupil is usually very large and the eyes surface is curved to match the same smooth contour as the head. If you run your hand over the tuna's head with your eyes closed, you can't hardly tell where the eyes are. The body of this fish is made for speed while it swims, so every fin has a small indentation in the body for it to fold up into and create less drag in the water...the eyes included. When the mouth is closed, this fish is a small swimming missle! As for what to use for eyes, I just order whatever "flint" size I need from Van Dykes (they have up to 82mm), and I use black acrylic paint and carefully paint a larger pupil by painting around the black pupil that came in the flint eye. Make sure it is good and black. I usually use 2 coats then a gold for the eye color. When this is dry, hit it with a gloss coat to seal it. Be sure to use a good reference photo as a guide

Thx Jeff

This response submitted by Eddie on 12/13/05 at 6:21 AM. ( ndawoods25@aol.com ) 40.0.40.10

Thx Jeff. I know they are swimming missles. I had 15 on my line that night 80 miles off the coastof Lousianna, and when they hit you at 35mph it is one hell of a jolt. Just hang on for the ride straight down 200 yards in 8 seconds. Thx for the info on the eyes. I have been looking for some referance material and the right colors to match. I will try Van Dykes. Thx Eddie

I can make it !

This response submitted by Buck- Black Forest Glass Eyes on 12/13/05 at 3:10 PM. ( michael.rodgers@web.de ) 83.176.141.47

Right up my alley ! wanted to make this eye long time ago!
Buck...

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu