where to get a walleye mounted

Submitted by clint d on 12/12/05 at 7:48 PM. ( ) 205.213.24.54

Someone I work with is looking to get a Walleye mounted. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good taxidermist in the Appleton, WI area. Not looking for a show piece just a good solid taxidermist. Also, what can I expect to pay per inch (average)for a walleye.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

pulaski area

This response submitted by jason on 12/12/05 at 9:05 PM. ( jdo76@netnet.net ) 206.40.124.45

clint email me i get 8.50 per inch,have done many walleyes,can send pictures or come see show room,45 minutes from appletown

walleye capital

This response submitted by Pam on 12/13/05 at 2:30 AM. ( ) 142.161.255.119

Selkirk Manitoba Canada........

You have many capable artists practicing taxidermy..........

This response submitted by Marc on 12/13/05 at 9:09 AM. ( ) 70.224.230.17

in Northeast Wiscosin. Make some calls. Find out their credentials. Narrow it down to 2 or 3. Go do some leg work and choose one of the 3. Look closely at their work. Break it down into parts. Do the eyes look real? Are the fins positioned correctly? Do the mounts have a fluid look to them? Is the coloration correct? Look closely at the transition between the peduncle(back end of fish) where it meets the caudal(tail) is this smooth without being puttied up? Do the fins have nice color and still exhibit transparency? is the throat latch rebuilt in a natural manner? Comparing these things against each other will help give you your man/woman. Good luck!PS many quality taxidermists will tip the scales of a walleye with a metalflake like gold medium. This is the bright sunshine coloration this species exhibits when fresh caught. Make sure they are putting this back in the mount. GOOD LUCK!

ALSO.......

This response submitted by Marc on 12/13/05 at 9:28 AM. ( ) 70.224.230.17

Choosing a taxidermist only by someone elses referral will more than likely disapoint you as everybody has a favorite. trouble is, this favoritism is often times hinged on knowing the person. Can't tell you haw many times I have quoted a price for a potential customer only to have them say...HUH! My cousins' uncles' brother in law can do it for half that price and the hand painted dolls eyes he uses look great! Prices and return times tell you nothing about the qualifications of the artist.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu