Ventilation

Submitted by Marc A on 12/16/05 at 9:40 AM. ( ) 206.138.130.3

Want to improvise some type of fan vent in the wall of my shop, with something that I can get at the hardware store. What can I use, and is there any danger of fire, I use lacquer base paints.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Ventilaition

This response submitted by Laurie on 12/16/05 at 10:57 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Be carefull about extracting flammable vapour in the workshop. The problem occurs when (in the presence of air) the vapour reaches a concentration termed the Lower Explossive Limit then there is potential for the vapour to ignite. This also depends upon the temperature (flash point) and having a source of ignition.

The safest option is to buy an extrator that is flame safe (usually not from domestic stores) but the best ventilation is the through exchange of air - ie Windows and doors open - as this will likely keep the solvent vapours below the lower explossive limit. You need to look at the data sheets for the chemicals you use and reduce all the potential risks in your workshop.

I could write a full report on this!

Kindest regards

Here's what I did...

This response submitted by Marc on 12/16/05 at 2:26 PM. ( ) 70.224.220.143

I cut a foot and a half square hole through the wall and had a heating and cooling guy come and fasion a vent using the same material duct work is made from (galvanized sheet metal?). On the inside I hooked up a regular blower found in any used heating system. You can find these almost anywhere for very cheap. A small hinged flap was built in the duct work(between blower and outside) to facilitate a panel I made out of 1 inch foam board to seal the opening when not in use.This piece of foam slides out easily when I want to spray. The duct work on the inside was made large enough to hold two furnace filters which trap excess spray and help keep the louvres of the blower clean. They can be replaced easily too. the blower was hooked up to a reostat and offers good control. if the blowers burns out(happened once in 26 years) I just replace the blower motor found at any rummage sale or used appliance place for about 15 bucks. I know this is not easily understood over PC but if you post an email address I will take a pic of my set up and send to you. Good luck!

here is what i use

This response submitted by R.P.K. taxidermy on 12/18/05 at 12:15 PM. ( olebuckshott@hotmail.com ) 205.188.116.137

I bought a dust collector from Menards for 99.00 It,s aportable and hung it on the wall and piped it out of the basement and put the suction side into a four feet wide by two by two paintbooth and it works quite nicely for the last couple years Ron

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu