what is paint retarder?

Submitted by dwl on 3/9/06 at 1:40 PM. ( ) 204.113.19.8

I know it slows down the drying process of paint, but is it something I can buy at home depot or some other store? It is for laquer based paint "WASCO" for an air brush thank you, DeLoy.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Get.....

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/9/06 at 1:45 PM. ( ) 64.122.137.24

....Retarder that is specific for the brand and type of paint you use. That way you will avoid any problems.

Try an art and craft store near you.

This response submitted by JTM on 3/9/06 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 63.161.168.3

They usually have that stuff.

Retarder slows the drying time on your paint.

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 3/9/06 at 3:35 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.160

If you are doing some fine point painting with your airbrush and/or the paint repeatedly dries in your tip it's time to give retarder a shot. I use up to 30 percent volume of retarder in my color cup with no problems whatsoever.

There is specific retarder for lacquer based paint and specific retarder for water based paint. Keep that in mind! I would just order the retarder with your paint as it's not like it's expensive and it does last a long time.

I could be wrong but I have a serious hunch that the retarder for Lifetone's lacquer paint is actually just Ispropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) At least that's what it smells like to me. It would make sense as the alcohol would not evaporate as fast as the laquer paint.

auto body supply

This response submitted by newbirdman on 3/9/06 at 4:09 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Any auto body supply store that sells paint will have it . You can even ask your local auto body shop , maybe someone nice will sell you a little . Rick

Forgive me Newbirdman but...

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 3/9/06 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.160

why would you go to an autoparts store for fish painting supplies? Would you go to a taxidermy supply catalog for auto paint?

Cecil

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/9/06 at 8:55 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.108

Auto parts store usually have the "best" when it comes to paint supplies. By best, I mean the highest quality, not the chainstore crap. The cheap, low quality thinners are only useful as a cleaning agent, I'd never use it to actually thin my paints. As far as the Lifetone laquer retarder goes, I agree that it does have the isopropyl smell, but there is something else there too. Put some on your fingers and let it evaporate, the remaining smell is not isopropyl alcohol.

Chemistry 101

This response submitted by Dennis on 3/10/06 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 68.249.0.216

I have not investigated it, but isopropyl alcohol would be a good bet. Problem is, it actually costs (retail) about 75 cents a quart.
As eyeglass cleaner, in a neat little squeeze bottle, it runs about several dollars for an ounce. I just bought some medications for "swimmers ear." Just another tiny bottle of 95% alcohol and a bit of glycerin for 5 bucks! I think I will sell this stuff myself!
What a markup.An idiot could make the same stuff for 10 cents. Personally, I will shop anywhere to find new stuff I can use for taxidery. Try Micromark.....mini tools and paint supplies. You do not have to go to the mags to get new ideas......it is fun to look in science supply stores, craft stores, and just try stuff.

retarder

This response submitted by Dennis on 3/10/06 at 11:27 PM. ( ) 68.249.0.216

Try 2 parts paint, one part president. the second ingredient will most likely retard anything.

Cecil

This response submitted by Clay on 3/13/06 at 1:24 AM. ( ) 216.77.192.133

No comment man you should think before writing something so ignorent next time. There are a lot of things that you can get outside of a tax. supply comp. Auto paint is top line paint when it comes to fish it holds color longer and higher quality.

Yeah Cecil, c'mon

This response submitted by Dennis on 3/15/06 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 68.77.245.144

Hey Cecil, don't fret the last comment. At least you can write a coherent sentence. How is it now that you spell ignorant...is it with an "a" or an "e?" Higher quality? Than what, Sears latex? I wonder how many of those auto paints come in transparents? I guess I better check for spelling in my tyranosuarus.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu