wet look gloss problem

Submitted by Slick on 6/4/06 at 2:43 PM. ( zoey624@hotmail.com ) 69.54.196.62

I am having a problem with glossing a fish.I have already put on 3 coats and the fins look to thick and they are not shiny.and some of the fish is not shiny either.I am using water based polytranspar.Was wondering what to do to fix this.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Yuck there's your problem!

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/4/06 at 3:45 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.24

I wouldn't touch a water based clear coat with a 10 ft. pole! I am a big believer in automotive clear coats now. I can get it locally and not pay the shipping either. What's even better is I'm getting a good one locally for $100.00 a gallon that is a Napa product known as Crossfire.

Hopefully someone can come on and tell you whats going on. Good Luck!

i agree

This response submitted by bob on 6/4/06 at 9:39 PM. ( rntaxidermy@aol.com ) 205.188.116.198

i agree with cecil. polytranspar water base doesnt work well. i have gotten it to shine a little by over doing it, but it looks crappy. i use helmsman spar urethane clear gloss by minwax. its around $7.00 a can at home depot, but most hardwares carry it. im no pro to painting fish, but this stuff makes my fish look very good anyway. just spray a light flash coat, then go over with a little thicker coat to make it shine. i may have to try cecils crossfire tho. sounds like a winner. good luck.
bob

Some info.

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 6/4/06 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 141.152.249.181

Fish 20 inches and smaller, try Rustoleum spray can lacquer.{green & white can from walmart}. Fish 20 + up, I'm with Cecil. Get the better lacquer thinner and experiment different dilutions until you get what you like.

How?

This response submitted by mrdux on 6/4/06 at 11:35 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 70.157.250.180

How are you applying the wet look gloss? Unless you are putting it on with an automotive touch-up gun or larger, you will get a cloudy finish. If you are using an automotive gun I would consider turning back the air pressure to 30psi or so and turn up the paint flow. I use the wet-look for all my fish and my customers love the look and I don't have to smell lacquer fumes.I put on a flash coat then at least 3 HEAVY coats as soon as the last coat is drying good.

automtive clear

This response submitted by joe on 6/4/06 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 67.9.52.234

i tried every thing and automotive clear is the best if you want to have that super wet look i won best of show in LA last month with a fish mount useing auto clear 3 coats

Wet look Gloss

This response submitted by Tim on 6/5/06 at 2:06 AM. ( nicholson008@hotmail.com ) 71.13.232.59

I use Krylon Triple Thick and my customers love it, and it is inexpensive.

What about

This response submitted by Deer4ager on 6/5/06 at 4:31 AM. ( deer4ager@atypicaltaxidermy.com ) 66.44.251.31

enviro tex, you get it at wal-mart or AC Moore.

Environtex has to be babysat

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/5/06 at 6:19 AM. ( ) 64.184.42.24

As it likes to run. Not sure I'd confident it won't yellow either. The environtex I get in my area is old as it's not a fast seller.

One thing I like about the automotive clear coat is the quality control. I can assure you the manufacturer doesn't want someone to paint a car and then have a bad experience and have to start all over!

However I made sure the product I bought was not old. The person behind the counter was a little miffed that I kept saying over and over, "Now you're sure this isn't old right?" LOL

Mrdux

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/5/06 at 6:22 AM. ( ) 64.184.42.24

To each his own but I've never been able to get the wet look my customers want with the water base. With the automotive I use I wear a respirator and have an exhaust fan so there is no need to smell lacquer fumes. One flash coat and one heavy coat and I'm done!

You guys use all those clearcoats over water based paint?

This response submitted by Jon S on 6/5/06 at 7:25 AM. ( ) 208.23.177.77

I'm too afraid that the solvents will ruin my paint job, so I have been sticking with the WB gloss.

Slick

This response submitted by Jim on 6/5/06 at 7:59 AM. ( ) 206.183.121.47

Try a little retarder. I've been shooting water-base clear for over 13 years now, and it works fine. My customers and I like it because it makes the fish shine just enough. If the fish is too shiny like a newly finished hardwood floor, it detracts from the realism I'm after. I'm no expert like Cecil B. This is just what works for me.

hey guys

This response submitted by Slick on 6/5/06 at 11:51 AM. ( zoey624@hotmail.com ) 69.54.196.49

I thought you had to use all the same kind of paint and gloss that are compatable with each other.That is what I have read in the Breakthrough book.Could it be that I did need retarder because the humidity was just to dry.

yes over water base

This response submitted by joe on 6/5/06 at 1:41 PM. ( ) 67.9.52.234

just fine

Water Based

This response submitted by Andrew on 6/5/06 at 4:32 PM. ( andyswildlifecreations@yahoo.com ) 207.89.210.251

Well I have used the 2 part Cecil uses or used,I had good results till I glossed a northern pike all was good till I noticed after a few days it all cracked. Not sure why it happened but taking that 2 part crap off is one hell of a job if you do have problems.
I changed to the Water based and have no issues with it other then it took alittle getting used to. I use a lot of sealer well painting due to some of the steps I take now in the painting process that alone adds some shine.
And yes I re glossed that pike with water based got a nice wet look and no cracks, SOLD LOL.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/5/06 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 64.184.42.24

Was that Lifetone's clear coat you were using Andy? I use a 4:1 automotive clear coat now. No problems whatsoever now!

Seems to me you said you added something to the tan that may have causes you problems with the northern?

A word of advice though: Take your gloss gun apart and wipe down the needle with solvent and also wipe the front orifices. Just runing solvent through the gun is not enough I also leave it disassembled after cleaning. I learned this after going through three gloss guns! LOL

LOL

This response submitted by Andrew on 6/5/06 at 10:11 PM. ( ) 207.89.210.243

Yeah Cecil it was the Lifetone and I am not sure about the tan as I glossed some bass as well with no problem from same type of tan mix. Then again its been over a year how am I gonna remember that LOL.And yeah gun tear down is a must.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu