RD Carlson in answer to your question

Submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/16/06 at 10:21 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.53

Before the egos when insane including mine. LOL

Cecil
This response submitted by RD Carlson on 6/16/06 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 158.247.221.78
Is there any need to use Lysol in a denatured alcohol/water solution, or does the alcohol take care of all the bacteria concerns? I understand that Lysol kills bacteria of course, I just wondered if it was safe for fish since it is now considered harmful to mammals. I didn't think you would use it if there were problems, but I like to be thorough.

I can't answer you question from experience with the DA. I've only used the DA/H20 a couple of times and didn't think it was worth the expense. I wouldn't think you'd have to add a bacteriacide. And contrary to what many say I do know from a friend that uses it there is a limit on how long you can soak a skin in it. He kept some perch skins in the DA solution too long and fins were mostly gone when he took them out.

All I can tell you is what works for me. Borax solution with lysol for soaking skins and mineral spirits before that if they are oily species like salmonids, bowfin, and also northerns & musky.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Thank you

This response submitted by RD Carlson on 6/17/06 at 1:55 PM. ( ) 158.247.221.78

Thank you cecil for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. Do you know if Denatured Alcohol is safe to use in plastic containers (5 gallon bucket) or will it dissolve it like laquer thinner?

I've used it in a 5 gallon bucket

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/17/06 at 2:34 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.53

mixed 50/50 with water with no problems.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu