Need reference pictures of northern pike and bluegills

Submitted by Ed Paker on 6/21/06 at 9:57 AM. ( ed.paker@peterson.af.mil ) 131.15.48.59

Hi everybody,
I used to do some taxidermy about 20 years ago, I have been producing and selling wildlife paintings and sculpture since then and I want to try my hand at fish carving, maybe to have something ready for the '07 world championship in Reno. I am having a little trouble finding good reference pictures of northern pike and bluegills. If I was still in Minnesota this would be no problem but I am not so I am wondering if anyone can help me with some good close up pictures of things like inside the mouth/ teeth. head structure, scalation, fin attachments gills and the like. pictures of live dead or mounted specimens would be OK. If there is a good reference book or model out there commercially available that you can recommend I would appreciate that info too. Thanks and have a day!

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Ed give me a couple of days

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/21/06 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

and I'll send you some good reference pic of bluegills. Sorry don't really have anything to speak of for northerns.

The IN Fisherman magazine has some good reference pics of live fish if you can get it.

Reference Photo's

This response submitted by Tim on 6/21/06 at 7:30 PM. ( archer_apex@yahoo.com ) 71.13.232.59

Hi ED, I have some northern pike reference photo's. Give me a couple days and I will send them to the e-mail you have given above. If you want them through snail male just e-mail me and I will send them to you! Good luck with the carving, I do a little myself when Can get time away from mounting fish, it takes patience I do know that! lol

Tim...

Thanks everyone

This response submitted by Ed Paker on 6/21/06 at 9:43 PM. ( ed.paker@peterson.af.mil ) 68.64.18.253

Thanks to everyone who has sent pictures and everyone who is going to send them. It is nice to find people who will help each other out, not all of the art world is so friendly. The NTA championship is also at the same venue as the fish carving one, if any of you will be there I'll buy the first round of beer.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu