Cast fins

Submitted by JL on 6/22/06 at 10:36 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.151

I'm the first one to speak about junk when I find it, like hot-glue fins(my evaluation), but I'm also honest enough to praise something that I find works well.I just tried the Epo-Grip "Fin Magic" in my trout fin molds and was totally satisfied with the way the product works. I had a set of fins cast in about 30 minutes(set-up time) and they look super. By the way I bought the stuff and didn't get it as a free sample. Congratulations Steve for a great product. JL

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Totaly The real deal!

This response submitted by Rick Krane on 6/22/06 at 10:49 PM. ( rmkinc1@msn.com ) 70.20.41.33

Jean you couldn't be correct my friend! Epo-Grip is the brainchild Steve and his son and they are good people with some really great products! I don't make a lot of recommendation to my students on a product or a supply company however I would and do recommend highly the "Fin Magic" and the "Seam and putty repair" I don't use the other products as f yet but I'm sure I will find a fishy reason too!

My Best!

Rick Krane
Anglers Artistry
312 Chesterfield Rd
Hinsdale NH 03451
603-336-7296

Fin Magic...

This response submitted by Jeff Soto on 6/23/06 at 2:32 AM. ( jeff@jeffsfishmounts.com ) 75.4.23.152

doesn't seem to be in their on-line catalog. Must be a new item. Is this stuff clear? Dries rigid I hope?

One of the best fin making products

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 6/23/06 at 6:35 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 71.161.248.205

Jeff if you got the last Breakthrough you'll find the articule I wrote on this and where you can buy it. You can find it or call WASCO, Research Mannikins to get it.
It's a totally new product. Now it's not a totally clear product but it's very translucent and paint adhears to it extreamly well. As for being rigid I will say yes and no for it holds it shape very well and can be heated to be shaped when set, which takes about 24 hours but it's still flexible so that it doesn't break like other plastics.

If you have any questions e-mail me or call Steve the maker at Epo-Grip.

bubbles

This response submitted by Dan Gill on 6/23/06 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 64.89.214.26

what about the air bubbles? Im trying to do a set for competition, but keep getting bubbles.
Dan Gill

Bubbles

This response submitted by JL on 6/24/06 at 10:11 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.183

I don't know how your molds are made, but mine are two part molds. I mix enough for a fin then cover each side of the mold by spreading the mix. This will eliminate surface bubbles since you only capture air when you put both halves together. If there are bubbles they'll be in the middle of the fin and you won't see them, or they will squeeze out when you clamp the mold. Hope this helps...JL

Since I have been asked several times

This response submitted by GB on 6/24/06 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 63.23.232.239

I have tried this material and will agree it produces a strong usable fin. It just wouldn't be my first choice except on very thin fins (assuming transparency isn't an issue. I found there are more efficient materials (especially when pouring numerous molds) that produce fins with equal or better results although I will admit they are more brittle. With all that said it doesn't matter what material is used just that it produces a good quality fin.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu