Sealing a northern pike

Submitted by Dan on 6/24/06 at 2:20 PM. ( northland@hotmail.com ) 208.53.238.39

I have just completed painting a northern pike and was wondering if any of you reseal the jaw area and paint it again. I read Cecils paint schedule and I believe that is what he said. By the way thanks Cecil I have my own way of painting them but it is always nice to add ideas. Thanks Dan

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

Dan

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/24/06 at 3:29 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

You are removing the chunk of meat on each side of the bottom jaw right?

I seal with Gary Bowens Super Fish Sealer before I paint as I do with all fish, and step 2 is to brush on Lustre Flex in the head area. Inside, outside, gill covers etc. Of course I also degrease them in mineral sprits after skinning.

I think Epo-Grip has a product to seal the heads as extra insurance.

Anybody else?

Epoxy will seal darned near anything...

This response submitted by Dennis on 6/25/06 at 12:16 AM. ( ) 68.248.197.140

That jaw meat does need to come out, followed by rebuilding with epoxy and sealing. Otherwise, grease will ooze its way out in time. There is plenty of meat in there and under the tongue.

Dixieland Supply...

This response submitted by Paul B on 6/25/06 at 11:17 AM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.110

has a product called "Miracle Seal". The name says it all. I use some on every fish I mount.

PB

No it won't Dennis...

This response submitted by marty on 6/25/06 at 12:02 PM. ( ) 24.15.109.214

The jawmeat debate - to remove or not to remove marches on...

The ONLY reason to take that meat out is because it's easy to do and you want to get as much meat out as possible to eliminate "STINK". IF you feel that meat when you take it out, there's very, very little grease in there if any. The oils oozing you see on some mounts is typically coming from the brachiostagal rays where grease is in an abundance. It's called "gravity".

You can go through pain-staking measures to degrease and remove meat from "problem areas" from big pike and musky and STILL have issues down the road. The only sure-fire way to alleviate any potential problems would be to cast and use an artificial head. Personally, I've yet to have an oiler musky or pike and I sometimes remove the jaw meat and sometimes I don't. Inevitably what happens is the meat dries up and shrivels up and you rebuild over it anyway. If properly degreased, there's no oil left in there. But then again, I don't do that many BIG pike and musky. But I DO know somebody that has been doing them approaching 40 years now. One of the best, and most trusted fish guys in the business. He did a state record musky a decade or so ago and indeed took painstaking measures to degrease and remove EVERYTHING in this big musky's head - jawmeat included. Guess what? A year later the oils started leaching and guess where it was coming from? The BRACHIOSTAGAL RAYS - not the jaw. Gravity.

This is the last time I will have the jawmeat discussion. From now on I'll just refer people to the little orange button when it comes to my opinion on the matter.

Pike and musky guys...

This response submitted by Dennis on 6/25/06 at 4:31 PM. ( ) 68.75.64.37

I am sure there are those who mount more big pike and musky than I do, and some very experienced names that advocate meat removal and removal of junk under and around tongue. Marty, what you say is true about oil having the probability of coming from areas other than these. Same applies to trout and salmon heads. While I use artificials on those, have you tried to replicate the upper palate teeth on a pike or musky by casting? Pulling epoxy is not my thing for these teeth. There are epoxy based products that I suspect would seal in anything, otherwise, some companies are selling very misleading stuff. I would venture to guess a poperly cleaned and degreased pike head coated TOTALLY with Envirotex light would never grease out to a problematic extent. If you cast a container of this stuff and filled it with oil, I would wager it would contain it indefinitely.

I dunno

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/25/06 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

maybe you're right Marty, and it's true I haved seen the grease bleed on those areas you pointed out, but I'm a better safe than sorry guy, and if it comes out easily and it's a big chunk -- I'll take it out.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu