Large mouth bass drying time?

Submitted by John on 6/25/06 at 10:37 PM. ( johnstaxidermy@bellsouth.net` ) 65.1.190.239

I mounted my first (fish)large mouth bass six days ago and I live in NC how long does it normally take to dry enough to do the finish work and paint? Is there a rule of thumb to go by as a way to tell?

Thank, in advance
John

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

When it is dry

This response submitted by Mike on 6/25/06 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 209.215.50.197

When the back of the throat is dry it is ready to paint.Good luck!

John

This response submitted by TeddyS on 6/25/06 at 10:53 PM. ( ) 71.76.196.203

I always set a fan in front of mine blowing room temp air on it. That helps speed the drying up. But as a general rule check the throat area when its dry I would say it all is. I would say just sitting it would take about a week. Of course you have variables like if your shop area is a controled temp room. Or if your area is not air conditioned and it gets hot during the day it wont take as long.Good luck with painting that booger! First fish I ever painted I ended up stripping it 5 times before I got the hang of it.
By the way where you at in North Carolina? Im located on the North side of Winston-Salem
TeddyS
www.ruralhalltaxidermy.com

normal climate

This response submitted by Jeff on 6/25/06 at 11:11 PM. ( ) 12.183.101.56

All the other posts didn't tell you how long it takes to dry, just ideas that helps the drying process. About 1 month in normal climate. If you have fans, little heat, or a dehumidifer, you can dry them quicker. Teddy and Mike is right about the back of the throat being dry, then it's ready to do the finish work/sealer/paint.

This time of the year

This response submitted by joeym on 6/25/06 at 11:32 PM. ( joeym@ra.msstate.edu ) 72.147.249.18

it only take a couple of days with a fan, however, I like for them to hang for a couple of weeks (miminum) to help dissapate any fishy odor they may have.

24-48 hours, when you remove the bug buffet in the head.

This response submitted by The Undertaker on 6/26/06 at 7:47 AM. ( ) 12.199.45.80

In 2003 I saw John C at the WTC, he removed everything from the inside of a 4 pund largemouth's, head placed it overnite in a closet and the fish was totally dry the next morning!

He also explained that in his shop, he has a 20 inch window fan blowing on the fish drying box, this he called a venturie drying tube, as it narrowed to a 12" X 12" two shelved box. This allows the air to move at a much higher rate over the fish.

I started doing exactly what he drewout for me and yes any warm water fish will dry in 24-48 hours!

He also said at one of the southern regionals many years back, he dried a German Brown overnite without the gills, using the real head, by removing the cartlidge all the way to the nose and replacing the mouth interior.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help and responses

This response submitted by John on 6/26/06 at 10:34 AM. ( ) 65.1.190.239

TeddyS I am in Newton near Hickory. I hoping to be at the NC show in august.

Thanks to everyone again,
John

spot markings on large &smallmouth bass?

This response submitted by DANIEL BERTRAND on 6/26/06 at 10:05 PM. ( bertrand@golden.net ) 216.59.255.17

TOO ANY FISH TAXIDERMIST. OUT THERE WOULD YOU HELP ME ON THE PROPER WAY OF PAINTING AND AIRBRUSHING. THE SPOT MARKINGS ON LAARGE & SMALLMOUTH BASS. IS IT DONE BY SINGLE SPOTS CLOSE TOGETHER? HOW CLOSE DO YOU HOLD THE AIRBRUSH TO THE FISH? AND AT WHAT PRESURE DO YOU SET IT AT? YOUR TIME & HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THAK YOU.

Good Question

This response submitted by Gorb on 6/27/06 at 1:04 AM. ( a.bukskyner@yahoo.com ) 4.229.204.103

But alot of answers. There is quite a few differences in the patterns of both types of bass,actually there is alot of different strains of bass,depending on your area.Anyways,I always find itbest to thin my paint down with retarder(about 20%),it keeps the tip of the airbrush spraying properly. Always spray on paper first,I think 70% of my paint goes on paper just trying to set my brush. Set your brush to spray a small dot,and press repeatedly (the air button)to the desired pattern and stand back & check it out(practice first). Never use a single color either,mix your paint. Iuse alot of Black & Dark brown mixed 50-50 ,sometimes with some Trans-Dark Green sprayed over top. Try using some Metallic Golds (Dk. or Reg) under or over, but just don"t overdo it. When that piece of paper starts looking like a fish skin you are ready "Grasshopper"( Good Luck )

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu