freezing between fleshing and mounting

Submitted by Glen on 6/27/06 at 1:06 AM. ( ) 216.129.188.47

if your freeing a fish skin between fleshing and mounting does it make a difference if its done before or after tanning? Im still trying to figure out the best way to tan fish after reading all of he debate about it on here but any more info would be welcome. Thanks.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

No such animal as tanning a fish skin

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/27/06 at 3:13 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

cleansing, soaking, degreasing adding a desicant as in soaking in borax ye but tanning no. At least that's what I believe -- others may disagree.

As far as freezing, from my experience I have frozen the skin before and after soaking and see no difference. However I prefer to freeze after soaking to so when I thaw the skin back out it's ready to mount.

Yes I know there are so called tanning solutions for fish but I'm skeptical.

Cecil & tanning

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 6/27/06 at 6:36 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 72.79.133.27

Yes you can tan a fish skin, though I agree with what we are using to soak or fish in is not and no where's near a tan but a preservetive.

A fish can tanned by soaking it in a pickle, descaling and then in a chrome tan. I know a person, well known, who did a sturgeon, mounted it by chrome tanning. Besides them, salmon, eel,sharks have all been tanned and used in walets, shoes,sword making etc.

Historial note...

This response submitted by Dennis on 6/27/06 at 11:49 AM. ( ) 68.77.244.246

The Samurai used to wrap the handles of their swords with the sandpaper-like skin of rays and sharks for a good grip. I do remember seeing salmon skin wallets somewhere. Hey, this is a legitimate market. I am curious if anyone out there has a formula for actually tanning such skins. It would be a fun project for any "fish-head" out there.

Maybe

This response submitted by Glen on 6/27/06 at 10:10 PM. ( ) 216.129.188.142

I should not of used the word "tan" in the question but I think my question was answered. Thanks. It would be interesting to try making a plyable fish skin.

O.K. guys I stand corrected

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/27/06 at 11:16 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

but I was really referring to the so called tanning that is used for fish mounts.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu