old bass need to bring back any help?

Submitted by john on 6/28/06 at 2:43 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.197

i have a friend who has a 6 pound bass that he had mounted years ago and two of the fins are cracked but still attached to the fish can i tape the show side and super glue back togther also what can i do to the fish to give it a new paint look it looks dusty but with a dry rag no dust came of and it still had the dusty look

thanks
to all

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu

if your fish was glossed heavilly to begin with..

This response submitted by art on 6/28/06 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 64.185.182.245

if the fish was gloss coated, you can wipe it with a damp rag. It might help with the dust. Also try a tack rag, if that doesnt work I dont know what to tell ya. You can superglue those fins for sure. If your fish was sealed properly you shouldnt be able to mess it up, unless you use thinner...

Why would you want to tape the show side of the fins?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/28/06 at 7:19 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

I would use clear tape on the wall side of the fish fins and fill in with apoxie sculpt and paint if necessary. But like Art says super glue might work. Sometimes you get luck if it's a clean break.

If it's still looks dusty after wiping with a damp towel like Arts says than the original taxidermist was probably a hackidermist. You may have to completely strip to get it to look right.

Hard telling without seeing it. Some real pieces of work out there. I'm repainting a couple of crappies that were done somewhere down in Texas. One is supposed to be a white crappie and the other is supposed to be a black crappie. Both are horribly painted and black crappie looks like some woman's polka dotted dress. Pretty sad.

Well Cecil...

This response submitted by Marc on 6/29/06 at 8:32 AM. ( ) 75.8.38.63

I've seen some polka dotted dresses that looked MIGHTY fine to me... But your right, she might look alot better if you strip her bare and work your own magic. UM, on the fish that is...LOL!

Yeah Marc me too

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/29/06 at 10:55 AM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

Some of those polka dotted dresses were mighty fine in my younger days -- especially the ones with not much more than straps above and of the light summer variety. I've always been an easy access kind of guy if you know what I mean. HeHe. Just don't like fish that look that way!

I don't consider myself much more than a good commerical taxidermist, but some of the fish I see on the websites, or that people bring me redo bring these words to mine: "You've got to be kidding me!"

Try this first

This response submitted by Chrisyt on 6/30/06 at 11:59 AM. ( harperstaxi2001@bellsouth.net ) 67.72.98.120

If the fish is real dusty you can take it off the driftwood and run it under the faucet or water hose. Just dont get it in the mouth. This will not hurt the mount at all. As for the fins, I would advise you to try to get some replacemnet fins and use apoxy to put them back on with. Then paint around the fins.

Chrisyt what if it's an excelsior body?

This response submitted by Cecil 64.184.41.234 on 6/30/06 at 12:57 PM. ( ) 64.184.41.17

(many of the oder mounts have excelsior bodies) and there are openings as in the back of the throat etc.? I politely disagree with you on this one. If wiping with a moist towel won't do it dumping water on is won't be any better and could cause more problems.

Return to Fish Taxidermy Category Menu