Sheep Horn Removal Stink

Submitted by Danny Gabbard, Sr. on 7/6/00. ( PYBuck12pt@cs.com ) 205.188.208.70

I tried the method for sheep horn removal put on this forum which was quoted from a "Breakthrough" article.

It involved putting the horns inside a double plastic bag after loosening the tissue and pouring water on it.

It worked perfectly. Both horns came off with little trouble.

Man the stink! (Which leads to my question.)

After removing the horns I boiled the core in water and baking soda for 30 minutes and then cleaned the meat off.

I soaked the horns in Dawn and scrubbed throughly.

After hand drying I coated the skull cap and core with Dry Preservative (namely Borax) and also filled the inside of the horns with Borax as well....dumping out the excess.

I plan on letting them dry for at least one month.

Here's my question.....I can still smell the stink on the core and the horns when I put my nose up to them.

Will that smell disappear? Like I said....I can still smell the rot when I put my nose up to it.

Thoughts?

Danny Gabbard, Sr.
"His" Creations Taxidermy
Kent, Indiana

Return to Category Menu

Yes it will go away...

This response submitted by Perry on 7/6/00. ( pgk@ncentral.com ) 128.118.40.40

While the borax will work ok, you may want to wash it off real good and
use one of the Miller trophy room products from McKenzie. there is one which
works great on the cores, and it is a residual pesticide. that means
it will last. the borax will have to be brush off the cores in order
for your adhesive to work. as for the horns, I usually rinse them real good
in pinesol, lysol or some other available disinfectant and then place
them back in the freezer until I'm ready to reattach them to the cores.

like a tulip

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 7/6/00. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 205.188.209.14

Yes the smell might go away with time. but you can make it go away faster. The reason they smell is the left over rotten flesh. And what rots flesh is bacteria. So if you soak them in a dilute bleach solution it will kill any left-over bacteria, and thus help elliminate the smell. After the bleech, use a detergent to bring back a fresh smell and get rid of bleach smell. Be careful because bleach can damage the horns if you leave it to long, or make it too strong. I wouldn't add more than an ounce or two in five gallons of water. Start with one ounce and add a little if it doesn't seem to work
Hope this helps.
Tony F

Another Simple to use Alternative!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 7/7/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

This one is rather simple - simply soak the core in a Rittels Preservz-It solution for 4 - 6 days, using 1 fl. oz. of PI-641, and 4 Ozs. of Powdered Borax to every 1 gallon of water used. This solution will stablize any remaining flesh and firm it. It will also "tan" the tissue and NOT provide future food for insects to feed on.

Sheep Horn Stink

This response submitted by Larry on 7/7/00. ( hidebeak@cpintnernet.com ) 209.240.224.226

If you try the methods to remove the smell that have been suggested here, and you still have an odor problem, I suggest you try the product Malogon which many suppliers carry. I've used it in several smelly situations with excellent results.

easiest way there is!

This response submitted by m choate on 7/26/00. ( mbchoate_2000@yahoo.com ) 207.144.243.20

instead of boiling, scraping & all the other crap you mentioned try this next time. drill 2-3 one half inch holes in the center of the back of the horns about 2 inches apart. becareful not to go all the way thru,just till you hit the meat in the center. next just submerge in formaldehyde. for 2 weeks. remove from formaldehyde and let air out for a week or so . formaldehyde smell will eventually evaporate. when you finish mount just fill holes with apoxie sculpt and airbrush to blend with horn and cover hole!

Return to Category Menu