tanning a moose cape

Submitted by joe kaposy on 8/4/00. ( ) 205.188.208.70

hi, i would like to know if it would be best to wet tan or dry tan a moose care for a shoulder mount? what are the pros and cons of each method? also where would be the best place to buy a good moose mannikin? i plan on getting the tanning done at carolina fur dressing. thanks, joe

Return to Category Menu

Moose Tan

This response submitted by George Roof on 8/4/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.42

Joe,
Dry tan is your best bet for a number of reasons, the most important one being money.
Dry tans are oiled before they are dried and I find them much more supple and stretchy when rehydrated than wet tans are. Until recently, wet tans got absolutely no oil, but I THINK Carolina is now oiling them lightly.

From the money stand point, a wet tan has to be frozen and stored before shipping and Carolina likes to send them 2nd Day Air. Guess who pays for that. If you cape is ready on a Friday (or there's a holiday), they store it until the first part of the next full week so you are assured of getting it.

Dry tanned hides are very light, don't need special care, and can be rehydrated at nearly no cost to you.

What do you know....

This response submitted by Perry on 8/4/00. ( pgk@ncentral.com ) 206.150.163.30

I agree with george --100%-- pun intended...

Go with the dry tan. easy on the wallet for shipping. As for
the mannikin, McKenzie makes a good one as does research.
There are others, but I don't do that many Meeses.

Return to Category Menu