Yikes....... I put Wrong Elk antlers on Elk.... Help!

Submitted by Dave on 8/12/00. ( dlongacr@gwtc.net ) 63.83.215.30

Somehow I had the wrong set of Elk antlers (too long of a story) and put on Elk form and just mounted last week! Just discovered I mounted wrong set of antlers. The cape was tanned by Golden State Tannery and now I need to know if there is a way of wetting skull.. taking out stitches and mounting the proper set of antlers! Surely someone has had a similar experience! Help......is this possible? Please respond or e-mail me.. thanks!

Return to Category Menu

just covered in Tax today or Breakthrough

This response submitted by Kristoph on 8/13/00. ( skinme2 ) 205.188.208.138

You sure can change them,we do it often here and either Taxidermy Today or Breakthrough just had a very thorough article with Erich Carter? Doing it on a white tail. I put a wet towel covered with plastic on the crown of the head where you're stiches are, when it softens up enough, clip your stitches, spread the skin, remove existing anlers and replace with the correct ones.Rebuild your clay work and resew, Good Luck, It should prove to be a very simple task....

just a hint...

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 8/20/00. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.220.185

If you put just a little bit of "Downy" fabric softener in the water it makes the water wetter (if that's a word).

Return to Category Menu