I screwed up, Help?...

Submitted by BC on 8/29/00. ( ) 209.130.183.124

Here's my problem...

I mounted a Very nice whitetail recently, record book quality,
and forgot to apoxie around one of the antler burrs...I stitched him up and let him dry...everything on him is exceptional, with exception to the big gap on the top of his head near the burr I didnt apoxie!...The gap is about the size of a quarter, to the rear of the burr...I realize it was a stupid mistake. What I need to know is...can it be fixed?
I've come to the conclusion in my "relatively" short experience as a Taxidermist that most things can be fixed if your crafty enough...

I hope I'm not wrong...This is a personal mount, that was going to be entered in my next state comp...sure dont want to loose him.

Thanks for the help in advance...

Return to Category Menu

fix-it

This response submitted by MarkV. on 8/30/00. ( fishspec30@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.34

You can rehydrate the top portion of the head placing some wet cloths atop it. remove your stitches, epoxy and restitch. I have had this happen and it can be redone with no ill effect to the mount. Others will give you more but this isn't the end of the world. Good Luck, Mark

agree

This response submitted by Scott on 8/30/00. ( scottlupien@home.com ) 24.20.6.248

I've made similar mistakes and fixed them the same way. You can dip the head upside down in water (I mix borax in the water) so that only the necessary part gets wet. No big deal.
...Scott

Burr Gap

This response submitted by George Roof on 8/30/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.162

BC,
I always superglue my cape under the antler burrs even after using epoxy clay, but that doesn't do anything for you now. In case you can't or don't want to try rehydrating, take a tube of clear silicone RTV (bath tub caulk)and squeeze a small amount into the hole. From the back side of your mount, clip a small swatch of hair and stick it into the RTV. Continue this, working from the back to the front, until the hole is covered. Then take your hand and "brush" all these transplants toward the rear like the normal hair pattern. After it dries completely, take scissors and trim if necessary.

Antler Burr Drop

This response submitted by Elmer on 8/30/00. ( Tops taxidermy@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

BC all the info above is good Try this when you rehydrate put some smooth epox around the burr ensure you have agood stitch lock and push the hide up under the antler burrr wiping the smoot epox off ensure you lock that hide under the burr and to prevent it dropping tack acouple nails through the hide into the bobe not real deep just enough to hold. Pull them out after dry. Since this is going to be a competition mount go the extra to ensure you have a good lock. Hope this helps.

Antler Burr Drop

This response submitted by Elmer on 8/30/00. ( Tops taxidermy@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

BC all the info above is good Try this when you rehydrate put some smooth epox around the burr ensure you have agood stitch lock and push the hide up under the antler burrr wiping the smoot epox off ensure you lock that hide under the burr and to prevent it dropping tack acouple nails through the hide into the bobe not real deep just enough to hold. Pull them out after dry. Since this is going to be a competition mount go the extra to ensure you have a good lock. Hope this helps.

Antler Burr Drop

BC all the info above is good Try this when you rehydrate put some smooth epox around the burr ensure you have agood stitch lock and push the hide up under the antler burrr wiping the smoot epox off ensure you lock that hide under the burr and to prevent it dropping tack a couple nails through the hide into the bone not real deep just enough to hold. Pull them out after dry. Since this is going to be a competition mount go the extra to ensure you have a good lock. Hope this helps.

oops

This response submitted by Elmer on 8/30/00. ( ) 205.188.209.5

I guess I got it posted

Return to Category Menu