cleaning the white area on pronghorn moung

Submitted by Blake Olson on 8/30/00. ( blakeolson@hotmail.com ) 207.109.98.3

I had a pronghorn shoulder mount done by a taxidermist that was not very careful in regards to keeping the white area on the neck and shoulders clean and white. These areas have always had a dark tint to them that the animal did not have. Is there any way to restore these coarse hairs to their original whiteness.

Return to Category Menu

Wipe it clean

This response submitted by Kristoph on 8/30/00. ( skinme2@ao;l.com ) 205.188.208.198

There's alot of good cleansers available that will do the trick. Try a mild detergent on a soft cloth and being very careful not to break hair rub with the lay of the fur. If that doesn't do it, try a stronger cleaner, one of my favorites that I remove "rust" stains from sea ducks and snow geese is available at the grocery store in the detergent aisle, it's called WINK and comes in a small bottle

Several Things I do

This response submitted by Dave on 8/30/00. ( dlongacr@gwtc.net ) 63.83.214.171

I cleaned up one antelope that I did not mount! I used lacquer thinner on a rag.... the problem was tanning oil coming back through the skin. I also sit all my antelope in the sun for a day .... the sun whitens many spots (learned this when we were in the drycleaning business) I have even applied a little white airbrush paint on one that I refurbished!

Return to Category Menu