Caribou...............antlers in velvet

Submitted by Tom K on 9/9/00. ( dianne98@alltel.net ) 166.102.54.62

I just recieved 8 caribou today..........all antlers are in velvet...........These are my first caribou.............No price has been given yet but it,s up front as to what might be involved........I,ll inspect the capes and antlers monday and then give a price...............the capes are in the freezer and the antlers are in the cooler(no room to freeze)They were taken on Thursday and brougt back by flight today then came directly to me...........He said it was cold in Canada so maybe the antlers are OK...........Thanx to George Roof I have a good idea what to do with the antlers(from an old post)............My Question is .........one of the antlers took a shot ........I,ve never repaired one with velvet..........I told the client that I would research the matter and give him the options...........What is the best way to deal with them?..............I,ll keep searching for any more info on the archives that I might of missed but if anyone has anything to add it would be appreciated...........Thanx...........Tom

Return to Category Menu

One idea

This response submitted by Mark on 9/11/00. ( ) 209.224.32.235

One suggestion ,not knowing how far the antlers have developed, would be to strip off the velvet, repair the antler the same as any antler repair and have the velvey reproduced by Research Mannikins. I have done it this way twice and it works. This probably isn't the only way but its the best way I know. Hope it helps.

Important!

This response submitted by Mark V. on 9/12/00. ( ) 209.224.32.67

One other thing I want to stress to you is to be careful handling broken caribou antlers in velvet. Several years ago I nicked my thumb on a piece of broken antler, about the size of a mosquito bite and got an infection that laid me up for weeks even though I had latex gloves on, to this day I wear heavy rubber gloves and wash my hands often when handling them. Don't you just love those group caribou hunts? Keep you busy for a while Unless you've got three people working for you.

Return to Category Menu