Ear cracks

Submitted by Jim on 9/16/00. ( bigmagnum300@aol.com ) 205.188.209.202

Fellas;
When an ear shows bad cracks and separations what do you consider the best repair, other than remounting. had this mount done 2 years ago and not happy.

Return to Category Menu

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 9/16/00. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

Depends on where the crack is and how the ear was mounted.
if the crack is on the edge, it could be soaked and stitched, or, if there isn't much drumming, maybe you can superglue it shut.
if the ear is drummed,(which is probable) I'd soak it, spread epoxy inside the ear, then sew the edge and card until dry.
IF the drumming is really severe, I might even split the edge and trim the earliner before restitching.

if the cracks are on the front or back of the ear, the repair is more difficult, but the same techniques will work.

since you say you had this mount done, I would assume that you didn't do it yourself. I'd take it back to the guy that did it, and see if he is willing to fix it for you. Maybe in the last 2 years he has learned a better method for mounting ears.

If he won't help, then check around until you find someone that seems confident in their ability to do repairs.

Good Luck
Dave

Hold On!

This response submitted by Mark C on 9/17/00. ( srceight@novagate.com ) 205.138.136.174

I agree with Dave that you should contact the taxidermist who did this mount. But before you get all mad and everything, and think that he doesn't know how to mount ears, there are a few things you should consider.

Did you shop for the best deal disregarding quality for price?

Was this mount hanging over or near the fireplace or a heat duct where the extreme dryness can cause cracking?

Are you in an area that has great fluctuations between humid and dry weather?

The point I'm trying to make is that there are allot of things which can cause cracking on a mount and are not the fault of the taxidermist. Please consider them.

Return to Category Menu