Antler set and bunched up at the neck

Submitted by Doug on 1/13/00. ( ) 63.64.148.35

I read a previous posting about a problem with capes bunching up at the neck(McKenzie form). I have that problem a LOT. A suggestion was in regrads to the antler set, and I'd like some follow-up to that. I am about to do a big set of sheds(set on one of those metal shed connectors) and they look mighty high on the head. I think I may be in for the "bunch at the throat" big time.
In the past I have measured the skull from the pedicel to the eye orbit, and made sure I sawed the skull so that the the same measurement resulted between the pedicle and the eye orbit of the form. STILL, I have that bunching at the throat. I always thought I might be getting mannikins too big, but this suggestion of antler set interests me. Please elaborate on the effect of "antler set" on the bunching up of the cape(whitetail) at the throat.

Return to Category Menu

Neck Problems

This response submitted by George Roof on 1/13/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.69

Doug,
I think we're talking apples and oranges. McKenzie's old 7000 series forms tended to dry with a "cut throat" effect. It was caused by the sharp 90 degree angle from the neck to the lower jaw bone. It could be remedied somewhat by "rounding the form" with sculpt all or even clay. Long haired deer were especially prone to this. McKenzie discontinued that series I think. The newer alerts don't have such a sharp angle.

As for your sheds, you should match them up with a contour of another deer skull you have. You may have to cut the antler notch a little deeper, but it shouldn't effect the throat if properly placed.

The real problem...

This response submitted by Bill on 1/14/00. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 152.163.188.69

with the 7000 series was the head to neck junction, it was off enough to throw the whole thing out of wack. I think they still might sell it, as some still liked it! They slid the head forward a bit, and that did the trick. Antlers set too high will pull the skin tight around the throat area, simple as that. If the sheds are set too high, than maybe those connectors arent the ticket for those antlers. I personally just pin them, using spare skull plates I collect.

buy a hide puller

This response submitted by mike on 1/14/00. ( ) 205.188.209.76

your forms might be to big .and it depends if your capes are cut in a y or a t or just straightensisionbetween burs

Return to Category Menu