Musk Ox Horns

Submitted by Ken on 1/10/00. ( wolf1373@aol.com ) 205.188.208.11

We have two Musk Ox to do. We need information on these horns, if they have to be seperated or not. We keep getting different answers. Any help would be appreciated. We already have the hides back from the tannery in great condition. Hoping to get them done soon. We had them soaking in water for a couple of months and scraped all the meat off. All thats left is to seperate the horn from the core if this is possible. Also what would be the treatment for the stink? Should i dip them in methonal ect.
Thanks,
Ken
The Taxidermy Studio
Rd2 Box 81A
Olyphant, Pa. 18447
570-586-9727

Return to Category Menu

Seperate

This response submitted by Littleram on 1/12/00. ( bszoo@awink.com ) 204.244.252.193

Ken
I have done about half a dozen of these wooley creatures over the years, and I have always "popped" the horns from the skulls.After removing the horns, I boil and then pressure wash the skulls.It is the only way I know of to completly get rid of all the meat(some of which is between the core and the horn), which is where the smell will come from. It also insures that no bugs will be feeding inside after the mount is completed. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me

Return to Category Menu