Elk shoulder mount, horns too long, help!!!

Submitted by Mark on 1/31/00. ( ) 63.27.26.195

I am getting ready to mount 3 elk and one of them is a straight ahead pose that causes the horns to hit the wall. I can mount the elk on my stand all right but what adjustment do I make to make this elk hang on the wall. The only thing I have thought of is to build out a wood backer on the mount. It will probably be sticking over at least 4" behind the shoulder line when completed. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Screw a long stick on the back

This response submitted by John C on 1/31/00. ( ) 204.180.103.53

and then mount the antlers. Move the stick left and right to make sure the antlers clear the wall. JohnC

Too Long

This response submitted by Dan on 1/31/00. ( xciteable@webtv.net ) 209.240.200.146

I think your question is how to hang the elk without the antlers hitting the wall? Correct? If that is your problem. I suggest that you alter the form to tip the head down.
A wedge a couple of inches thick might do the trick. When you re attach the head to the form BE SURE to reinforce the head/neck junction with a threaded rod or length of 2x4. If it is in a sneak position which I assume it is, It will be hung higher on the wall than normal, for say, a deer mount. So the lowered head would show off the antlers better at that height. Even if it is a straight upright pose you can tip the head and it looks good. Just did a big N.M. 6x7 like that, in the upright, the same way. Always works like a charm. looks prety cool too. Good Luck!

Thanks Dan

This response submitted by Mark on 1/31/00. ( ) 63.27.182.239

Yes, you are correct. Aligning the skull plate correctly was leaving the horns sticking back beyond the form. This is a straight ahead semi-upright. I think your suggestion is good and will work. Thanks for the advice.

Return to Category Menu