Sheep horns... angle of skull cap

Submitted by John G. on 2/22/01. ( huntnstuff@ev1.net ) 207.218.245.7

I searched for this in the archives and didn't see it covered. I am mounting my first sheep and apparently didn't pay close enough attention to the skull cap when I removed it. The angle is important because the horns(corsican) curl around and touch the cheeks leaving a bare spot. Does the top(front) part of the skull lay flat similar to a deer, angling back with the forehead or does it lay more forward at an upward angle on the face of the sheep. Also I assume bondo is the best way to secure the horns back to the bone. If there is a better way please let me know.Thanks for the help!

Return to Category Menu

Why bother

This response submitted by JL on 2/22/01. ( wmlures@xtdl.com ) 216.204.76.225

....with the original skull cap? Order the mannikin from Jim Allred with the cores already molded on it.Simply mount the Corsican then attach the horns with bondo. Good luck.......JL

They are all different.....

This response submitted by Lars on 2/25/01. ( judithmt@lewistown.net ) 206.127.86.2

And many of us like to make them just as they were, so the bone cores are important. Bondo has worked for me, and many others are switching to the epoxies that are available for the adhesive. Still, a small brad at the rear of the horn base, all the way to the core, is good insurance. Angles are so varied, I make a quick template of the bridge of the nose and around the top edge of the horn, and a measurement from the tip of the nose to the tips of the horn,to match it with on the mount. Some like to use a length of soft wire to make a template. Using the rubbed spots will work pretty good if the cape fits good.

Return to Category Menu