mangled boar ear

Submitted by Todd T on 2/25/01. ( deertodd@aol.com ) 152.163.189.130

I have a wild hog that has one ear that is to put it simply, "mangled". Can someone tell me how to mount this? I have mounted deer with split ears and have had no problem. But the hog ear is split, bent, tore with a hole in it. Thanks

Return to Category Menu

Boar Ear

This response submitted by George on 2/25/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.174

Todd,
Use your ear separators as much as possible to get the main portion split. Then (if you have a visor magnifier, this is easier) take a scalpel and slice open the torn parts of the ear on their very edges. Once you have it split completely and have the cartilage out, you can tan it. When you mount it, don't use BONDO! Use a good epoxy with fiberglass chop added. Bondo will eventually disbond from the skin while the epoxy will hold it for good.

Try this!

This response submitted by Matt on 2/26/01. ( mbchoate@twlakes.net ) 207.144.243.174

Mounting over 300 boar a year I can tell you that ear openers will only work on about 5% of the boar ears you have to turn!

Turn them as far as you can and bondo ..Then in the ends that are ragged inject formaldehyde or bird feet injection and card with fnbacking material or cadboard and let dry...Hope this helped!

Return to Category Menu