antelope horns dried on-microwave?

Submitted by Marta Krueger on 2/26/01. ( kruegercreektaxi@aol.con ) 152.163.188.193

I know you can microwave antelope horns to get them to pop off the cores, but I'm wondering if you can do this with dried on horn caps as well as fresh ones. Do they need to be rehidrated some before attempting this? If you've tried it let me know how it worked out or if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm always looking for new and better ideas! thanks all!

Return to Category Menu

ant horns

This response submitted by mike d on 2/26/01. ( the_taxidermist@yahoo.com ) 208.46.229.160

Marta-
I would not recommend nuking dried out horns! You will blow holes in them , or at least you will raise big bubbles in the sheaths before they seperate!
What I have found that works for me is to boil them!
The trick is to be able to completely submerge them, use a little sal soda to help soften the tissue.
Use a pan large enough to lay them down or deep enough to let you
cover the horn completely; that way any fat that is removed when boiling can not stain the horn, as it will float on the surface of the water.
If they are real dry, then it is likely that the connecting tissue will stay stuck to the inside of the sheath after seperation. If that happens, just cook them a little longer and the tissue will soften up, making it much easier to remove
After the core is clean pack it tightly with salt; this speeds up drying and helps the sheath retain its shape.
If you allow the sheath to air dry while empty it will warp or shrink and it is likely to be difficult to get it all the way down on the core when re-installing- but if that happens you can boil to re- soften and slide over the core until it fits, and then salt pack and re-dry.

thank you Mike

This response submitted by Marta on 2/27/01. ( ) 205.188.209.170

Thanks so much for the great information Mike I'll try boiling, sounds like the way to go! Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply!

Return to Category Menu