Antelope Mount...

Submitted by Darrell on 4/27/01. ( dswalke2@yahoo.com ) 63.39.148.33

I do taxidermy as more of a hobby then a business, so I need some suggestions for this problem -

A neighbor has an antelope mount that is about 35 - 40 years old. I have not seen the mount as of yet but he is complaining about the hair shedding pretty bad. He doesn't know if the mount was done with DP or tanning. My question: Is there something (chemical...spray...etc...) that can be used to stop the hair from coming out?

The mount is very special for him, has some family tradition & history involved.

All replies are appreciated!

Thanks, Darrell

Return to Category Menu

antelope

This response submitted by mike d on 4/27/01. ( the_taxidermist@yahoo.com ) 208.46.229.154

Sadly, about the only thing that can be done in this case is
a re-mount with a new cape.
All mounts dry out with time; some have extremely brittle hair,
antelope might be the worst, and the slightest touch will break
hair off when the mount is old.
Antelope are bad when they are fresh mounts and only get worse
with age; if the mount has sentimental value then it should be
re-mounted.

Try some hair spray

This response submitted by Mike on 4/28/01. ( ) 208.59.247.9

In the past I have used hair spray on older mounts with some sucess. It usually works to put a good amount of hair spray and then dont touch the mount. Hang it onthe wall and hope it doesnt shed too much. The only problem is that the hair spray will often hold dust and make it harder to clean down the road. Good luck

Rogaine

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 4/28/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.149.178.233

Don't try it. I know it doesn't work. My hair still falls out. LOL

But as Mike said this is normal for an antelope. I would talk to him about getting a new hide.

Forget hair spray. It attacks dust and if your client wipes the dust off guess what more hair loss.

Return to Category Menu