cleaning teeth

Submitted by dan on 5/2/01. ( dan_v2001@yahoo.com ) 198.111.146.108

Need to clean the ivory teeth from an elk. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan

Return to Category Menu

Whistlers

This response submitted by George on 5/2/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.174

I'm ASSUMING you mean to get the meat and cartilage off of the teeth. If so, use a soft bristle wire wheel VERY SPARINGLY and only on the bases. Scrape most of it off with the edge of a scalpel blade. These teeth are ivory and you need to take particular car as they scratch easily. Don't even think about boiling them.

elk ivorys

This response submitted by joe on 5/4/01. ( awtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 63.50.224.123

put a small pot of water on the stove and get it to boil. drop teeth in and let simmer a few minutes. take out the teeth and scrape with a small knife and then use a small wire brush and some dawn detergent and brush those teeth clean. rinse and dry.

BOIL or not to BOIL

This response submitted by Michael s on 5/8/01. ( ) 64.12.96.174

i have never had the pleasure of working on an elk or the ivories, so what is the correct answer, boil or not boil ? and what would happen if you did boil them, i have seen boar tusks crack when boiling the jaws to pull them out, wouldnt the ivories become stained or possibly split and be ruined?

What I heard is.....

This response submitted by Sid on 5/25/01. ( sidstuff@att.net ) 12.82.142.143

Well, I was given some ivory teeth from an Elk for a Birthday present one year...good thing I'm a taxidermist...anyway, the guy who gave them to me told me never to boil them. I haven't, so I don't know what would happen if you did. But, he told me that if you keep them in your pocket for a while they will shine and clean right up. Now, how much is a while, I don't know that either. And I usually have at least a pocket knife in there, and some coins, and God only knows what else, so I haven't tried this yet. And while none of what I've said probably helps, I just had to submit it anyway. Good luck.

Return to Category Menu