First Javelina

Submitted by JEM on 6/26/01. ( ) 208.48.229.66

Ok, just got in my first Javelina in. It was skinned but nothing turned. My experience has been limited to deer, elk, moose and bear and eastern mammal full bodies. Do I do anything different in turnung and salting this thing? Customer wants a 1/2 body mount - I plan to turn lips,eyes,ears and front legs down to the knuckle and then double salt like most everything else (other than wear a nose plug) do I need to degrase or flesh before salting? I normally send my stuff out to be wet tanned. A while back I heard of a guy in New York than was recommended for his Javelina work (including his tanning) does anyone know his name or number?

Return to Category Menu

Some advice

This response submitted by Troy Peterson on 6/26/01. ( truelifetaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.140.31.3

First of all your right on the money about the nose plug! Some things I've found. I always fleshed mine, but be carefull. That skin and hair/quils are different than sewing a deer. I also found the artificial nose to be a great thing when it comes to that critter.
Good luck!

sewing advise

This response submitted by JEM on 6/26/01. ( ) 208.48.229.66

Troy, thanks for the adise. You have peaked my interset on the sewing. Any advice or further explaination?

Degrease and flesh before salting

This response submitted by CUR on 6/26/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 66.90.181.67

Yes. If you desire, a handfull of borax can be kept to help with fascia. I like the borax since it helps dehydrate some of the flesh and connective tissue, making it a bit easier to identify and remove.

GUY IN NEW YORK

This response submitted by ROB COATES on 6/26/01. ( rc5766@gisco.net ) 205.232.172.22

JEM, I'M THE GUY FROM NY YOU SPOKE OF.I OFFER A WHOLESALE BOAR TANNING AND OR MOUNTING SERVICE.MY E-MAIL IS POSTED ABOVE, LET ME KNOW IF I CAN BE OF SERVICE TO YOU. THANKS

Return to Category Menu