Red Stag Eye Color?

Submitted by T.Baker on 10/19/01. ( tbaker@porterville.k12.ca.us ) 207.213.74.229

Is the eye color of the red stag the same as elk or lighter in color and closer to a fallow deer? Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

Same

This response submitted by CUR on 10/19/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.123

Looks the same to me. I have only mounted one, and I am looking at it, I used a medium deer eye. I am sure I matched it up at the time.

Done a bunch of Red Stags and true to form.....

This response submitted by Kristoph on 10/19/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.209.72

The Cur is correct, go ahead and order red stag eyes and what they'll send you is a set of deer eyes. That's been my experience anyway.

Thanks

This response submitted by T.Baker on 10/19/01. ( ) 207.213.74.229

I did as you suggested twice and got a fallow colored eye both times. The first time (2 months ago)I sent it back and got the deer color and mounted. The same thing happened this time. I thought I was "loosing it" because it happened twice. I trusted the supply company too much to send a "red stag eye" in correct hue. The limited references I have show an elk/deer color as best as I can tell.

Thanks Cur and Kris.

one problem...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/19/01. ( ) 152.163.189.131

Depending on what you are mounting, and from where, a red stag isnt always a red stag. Red deer and red stag and red stag/elk crosses ARE different animals. I use elk eyes for stags and crosses, and the lighter veined eye for true red deer, like the ones they get in New Zealand, etc.

red deer

This response submitted by craig on 10/19/01. ( moderntaxidermy@bigpond.com.au ) 203.54.129.96

Hunting and mounting a lot of red deer i have always used around 30 32mm elk eyes from vandkes.i have seen a variation in eye color from a light color with a prominent blue horizontal slit and some dark but still retaining that slit.so i have found elk eyes to be great.

A Red Stag

This response submitted by CUR on 10/19/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.132

A red stag is a male red deer, und das es der Hirsch, undt der Stag.
The Aussie and New Zeland deer may be termed a specific, but they are the same long lost cousin of the American elk (Wapiti). Both the Red Deer and the wapiti are considered as Cervus Elaphus by a number of authorities, even though the sub-specifics in the US have other handles. The red deer readily interbreed with the elk here on Texas ranches. Red deer were introduced in the land down under from Europe. There are several subspecies, as well as other large members of the genus Cervus, such as the Eld deer, the Luzon deer, Schomburgk's deer, Thorold's deer, the Barasingha, and the Sika, as well as a number of sub-specifics, but there is only one Cervus elaphus in Europe.

Spanish Red Stag

This response submitted by Brian on 10/20/01. ( ) 12.78.18.50

Great Question on eye color. I am doing a Spanish red deer that came from somewhere in Spain. Is the eye color the same for it as described in the original question. Thanks

Brian

Brian

This response submitted by CUR on 10/21/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.131

Is Spain in Europe? See the post above. There is only one species of red deer in Europe. They just speak different languages.

Not the Same

This response submitted by Gary Pegg Australia on 10/21/01. ( garypegg@ozemail.com.au ) 63.60.220.148

Sorry guys, l would hate to throw a spanner in the works, but PURE Red deer eyes are not the same as Elk Eyes.

Unfortunately , we fall into the trend of relying upon the manufactures to advise us on the correct type, but when they themselves dont know, or are simply out of stock, we are often given Elk, or advised to "just use Elk "--so we do .

And then that becomes the norm.

Pure red deer are a fair degree lighter , more towards the gold/yellow color, some beasts l have examined were almost milky yellow, though l suspect that was as a result of first cross hybridization .

To be truthful, most of the beasts that yourselves in the USA will receive back from either New Zealand or Australia , will have touches of Elk somewhere in there blood line , an unfortunate off shoot of the growing pressures of outfitters to supply record book heads to trophy hunters on an annual basis , and a legacy of a now defunked velvet and meat industry where 'F1's or 'Super Reds' were produced on mass by deer farmers decades ago by crossing Elk bulls with Red cows .

lt was even revealed recently by the deer authority Bruce Banwell, that some of the estates in England where it was once thought that such pure gene pools originated ,did infact introduce elk genetics into there herds some centuaries ago.

As for the debate over the issue of Red deer and Elk, most authorities now believe that Red deer (Cervus elephus) and Elk, (Cervus canadensis) , should be treated as seperate species.

Miller and Kellog (1955) Lydekker (1915) and Whitehead (1972) support this view as well.

This is all long winded stuff, but l feel it important to re-correct some inherit issues concerning the standing of Red Deer.

Next will be the issue of European fallow and Mesopotamian Fallow, but that will be another time

As for your initial situation, l do have in stock , if you wish, some custom made forward looking Red Deer eyes--made in the USA of course, so drop me a mail if you wish.
Gary Pegg
Australia

ahhh

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/22/01. ( ) 205.188.209.72

I feel vindicated!

Geeeeeeeze

This response submitted by T.baker on 10/23/01. ( tbaker@porterville.k12.ca.us ) 207.213.74.229

And all I asked for was a color. Thanks for the extended knowlege. The "stuff" one can learn here is amazing...all you have to do is bring is your own container.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Tom.

Return to Category Menu