Mule Form

Submitted by Kyle on 10/29/01. ( pkteel@caliente.lincoln-nv.com ) 12.110.4.1

Does anyone know of a company that sells a shoulder mount form for a mule? Thanks

Return to Category Menu

Jonas

This response submitted by CUR on 10/29/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.115

Jonas lists an old paper form for a shoulder mount horse. It could be modified for your purpose. Just make sure that you give it two or three liberal coats of quality marine varnish prior to starting work.

Other than life casting the head or framing and carving a form or building one from wood, clay, hardware cloth, excelsior and mache, using the mule's skull, there is little choice of which I am aware. And who says the old ways should be forgotten?

Twas a time when any taxidermist worth his salt could have made that form. Let's not be so hasty about tossing out the past and making fun of the folks who walked this path before us. Heck, even old Elwood could have done it with one hand tied behind him.

I would recommend......

This response submitted by Lars on 10/29/01. ( ) 206.127.86.11

altering one of the many Zebra forms that are out there.

Trouble with that...

This response submitted by CUR on 10/30/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.106

Is that if the mule is a real mule, especially a big draft mule, the altering would be pretty tough. There are a lot of physical differences between a zebra and a plow mule, just one of which is size.

I suppose you could alter a zebra form, but it may be a lot of work. You would probably end up using it as a core armature under a lot of clay or mache. Just a thought. Lars knows what he is doing, though and it warrants taking some measurements and comparing the two. I just keep a mental picture of those big old draft mules in my mind, and it is hard to see the comparison.

The horse form is 14 X 25 X 33 and the largest zebra, a Grevy's is 13 1/4 X 21 X 30 3/4. I think that horse form may be a bit small for a large mule. It seems more like a thoroughbred scale, and not that of a draft animal.

Return to Category Menu