dried antelope horns?

Submitted by lisa on 10/31/01. ( mtgal42@netzero.com ) 204.211.224.12

Hello everyone,
I have two antelope to do that were brought in and the horns are from several years ago and are dried on the core with out cleaning. my question is what is the best way to seperate them? I was wondering if i could just soak in plain water to rehydrate them to seperate the horns from the cores. I checked the archives and didn't see much on this case. I know what to do if they are fresh but haven't incountered this before. thaks for your help.

Return to Category Menu

Don't know that I'd bother

This response submitted by George on 10/31/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.169

Lisa,
If they're that old, the horns are held in place by natural glue. Dirive a thin pin in the backside of them and mount as they are.

Come on George,

This response submitted by Lars on 10/31/01. ( ) 206.127.86.25

I can't let you get away with that one. Old core material is an open invitation to bugs. Soak for a week in regular water and then boil them lightly. Clean that core very well and then peroxide to reduce the smell from the bone. Soak the horns in Tide detergant for several days, dry , and use your favorite "adhesive" to attach back to the cores. Pinning IS recommended.

Lars

This response submitted by George on 10/31/01. ( ) 152.163.188.227

She said they were OLD. Bugs probably already got them and I treat all my goat horns with Millers spray regardless. Realistically, what core is left inside those sheaths at this point in time can't be much more than would have been there had they been rotted and cut originally. I just doubt that rehydration is going to do any good on pronghorn horns.

All I know is....

This response submitted by Lars on 11/1/01. ( ) 206.127.86.20

Any bug damage I have seen usually resulted from not removing the sheaths and cleaning totally. Sheep, Mtn goats, and antelope were the worst scenarios due to the organic matter left under the sheath. The bugs may not go for the matter on the core, but the smell is enough to attract them to the mount where they will attack the under-wool and "log" the hair off in an attempt to devour the wool. And George, I am vey interested in the Miller's spray you use. Please elaborate on some details, here, so all may benefit.

Miller Trophy Room Preservation

This response submitted by George on 11/1/01. ( ) 152.163.188.227

Antelope horns are like no others and as such, I always used this spray on the horns and cores. It is very good at providing a long term bug eradication/prevention and it soaks into the hair horns exceptionally well. It used to be sold by McKenzie, but I see their new catalog doesn't include it. It WAS expensive, but it works. You can call them at (704) 436-2001. It comes in a 16 oz aerosol with a tube spray for treating cracks and crevices in your shop to keep bugs of all shapes and sizes out, while killing those dumb enough to have been inside. Having said all that, I'm relatively sure that it contains the same products or nearly so as Raid Ant and Roach. Both soak into porous horns and cores exceptionally well and leave a residual that continues to fight bugs for extended periods.

Return to Category Menu