measuring a tanned cape

Submitted by mike b on 10/8/01. ( mbmuz@infi.net ) 63.50.143.142

i'm just starting out in the field,i am looking to mount a deer cape that is commercialy tanned.the customer did not give me any prior to tanning measurments.after measuring the tanned cape, dry , the measurments do not match up with the approxomate measurments this cust. gave me. it is alot smaller. any help would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Rehydrate and Sweat

This response submitted by George on 10/8/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.1

You can't take any measurements until you do that first. Then lay the hide out flat and measure the eye to nostril front for the "A" measurement. Take the neck measurement (stretched open) and subtract about an inch for cover the hair problem.

Measurements

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Supply Co. on 10/8/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

Hello Mike,
if I read your posting correctly, you said that "I measured the tanned cape Dry".If this is the case, you need to rehydrate the cape in water with a little bit of salt. Soak the cape for about 30-45 min and allow to drip dry for 30 minutes. Fold it skin to skin,roll it up and put it into a plastic bag and refridgerate over night and allow to sweat.
By morning, your cape should be re-hydrated with good stretch. This is when you want to take your measurements.
When you're finished, you can put it into the freezer untill you get your mannikin and supplies.

Have a great day to all,
Dave

Return to Category Menu