Boar throat drumming

Submitted by Ramo on 11/1/01. ( ) 24.225.3.158

I was wondering what you guys do to keep the skin against the form while it dries. I use a good hide paste, but with this boar I worked on yesterday, the hide is probably 4-5 inches away from the form between the back of the jaw, and the brisket. Therre is plenty of hide for it to lay down, to get the muscle structure to show, but you have too push it down into the form. I was thinking fo burying it up to the neck in sand, to push the skin against the form. Has anyone ever done this? What do you guys do?

Return to Category Menu

Pin the hell out of it

This response submitted by Leanna on 11/1/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 207.195.212.55

And maybe your hide was too oily for your hide paste to work.

Killer Glue

This response submitted by MattC on 11/1/01. ( mbchoate@twlakes.net ) 207.144.106.238

I use killer glue to get the throat area to lay in tight to the form. I usually only do this on boar that I am mounting for a competition or display. If you will look at a live boar there is very little if any definitoin in the area under the throat and above the brisket.

Boar

This response submitted by Robin on 11/1/01. ( flatwoodsman11@aol.com ) 205.188.208.39

Leanna is right pin the hell out of it and i use killer glue on all my mounts did you degrease it good never had that problem pin it good let sit good luck Robin

Sure Fix !

This response submitted by Rick Carter on 11/1/01. ( WASCO ) 64.12.96.171

Ramo, I hope you didn't put 10lbs. of manure in a 5lb. bag. lol Assuming you didn't; Return the mount to the stand. Turn it upside down.(throat up). Lay a warm wet towel on the drummed spot as long as it takes to soften the hide. Now there are two good options: 1. make a small 1" incision near the edge of the drumming and force Epo-Grip liquid fast set (NS 108) into the hole with a large syringe WITHOUT the needle. OR 2. Inject the area with Epo-Grip injectable (NS706). After the Epo-Grip is inside, massage the skin while squeezing the glue into the area that drummed. Leave the mount upside down until the glue sets or at least 3 hours. It will not drum again. If you do not have any Epo-Grip try the first method with 5-minute epoxy. It will be OK to place the mount into a large trash bag to keep it from drying further until you can order something to fix the drumming.

Next time dont pull the cape so tight.

This response submitted by John C on 11/1/01. ( ) 208.44.115.62

Now tow things come to mind first you pulled way to much cape off the back side of the form and second your GLUE SUCKS, it is not cutting it, truth be told.

JC

This response submitted by George on 11/1/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.195

Now that you have that off your chest, I'd like to know how your REALLY feel. LOL. I'm glad you and Rick said it before I got a chance. I don't know when the last time I had to pin something was to keep it from drumming, but I'd bet it was pretty close to when I stopped using crappy glue and started using EpoGrip

BUT

This response submitted by Leanna on 11/2/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 207.195.212.73

If indeed the hide was left greasy, will even the epo-grip (of which I love dearly) work in this instance?

LEANNA!

This response submitted by George on 11/2/01. ( ) 152.163.188.195

Now just WHY would the hide be left a "little greasy"? Didn't you flesh it properly and degrease it with Epo-Grip Bloodout/Degreaser? "Little Greasy" has differing degrees and even the best epoxy will not adhere through grease.

Thanks

This response submitted by Ramo on 11/2/01. ( ) 24.225.3.158

I have injected my crappy glue into the area, and pinned the heck out of it. The glue I use (use to use) is from VanDykes, and made by HydroMist, and it is called hide paste. Thanks for the info.

GEORGE!

This response submitted by Leanna on 11/2/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 207.195.212.59

I'm not talking about MY boar hide, you KNOW how well I flesh mine and THEN use Epo-Grip Blood Out Degreaser!

But your last statement on "even the best epoxy won't adhere to grease" was exactly what I was talking about! I was wondering IF grease was the reason Ramo's hide wasn't adhereing to the mannikin, IF Rick Carters remedy would work. I don't think it will. IF the problem is grease......am I talking muffled lately? As though my head were up my rear end? LOL Think I came across wrong on a fish post today too! It's a good thing I love your sorry a$$ George, or I'd kick it for you!

Return to Category Menu