Moose cape!

Submitted by Doug on 11/13/01. ( seibert@usol.com ) 63.64.150.249

I brought back a moose cape from a hunting trip in September. I caped it myself and turned the nose, ears, and eyes before salting it. I brought it home in a double plastic bag. It laid it on plastic on my basement floor to dry. Well, my basement is somewhat damp, and it dried VERY slowly. Specifically, it showed NO signs of drying after a week on the floor, and wasn't "flint hard" for over a month. I want to sell this cape, but am worried that because it was so damp for so long, that the hair might slip for whoever buys and tans it. What do you think? Might this happen?....and Is there any way I can tell if the hair will slip before I sell it?
Thanks,
Doug

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Doug

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 11/13/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.138.238.228

Was the cape salted or raw flesh?

If you salted it there's a good chance it's ok but if left raw I wouldn't sell it.

If you really want to know if it's ok I would send it to a tannery and get it tanned. This way you will know if all is ok. This way you could sell it as a tanned caped instead of a raw one.

De Sloppy Moose Eh?

This response submitted by Mark C on 11/13/01. ( srceight@i2k.com ) 198.92.78.25

Hey Doug,
That cape should still be okay if you rolled the thing up on your first salting for good penetration. The hides on those things are so thick you really need to do that and leave it for a couple days rather than just the normal 24 hrs. I dry mine on a rack and it still takes quite awhile, there's an awful lot of moisture to come out of em. It's probably okay but to be safe, I would Tan it like Frank suggested, you'll get more money in the end anway, eh?
By the way, If you want to mount that puppy up for your showroom, I know where you can get either a 36" or 53" rack pretty reasonable.

Good Luck

More infor.

This response submitted by Doug on 11/13/01. ( ) 63.64.150.161

Thanks Frank & Mark (& Elmer & Dave)!
The cape was heavily salted (and RUBBED in) immediately after fleshing. No meat was left on. After I got it home and spread it out on the floor, I added yet more salt...especially from the neck up. There was still LOTS of pink slushy salt on the cape lower on the neck and brisket. I usually hang deer capes, but this sucker is dang near 1/2 of the moose. I'd guess it is at least 5 feet long, and I hope I can fold it to get it in a bag or box. I am going to ask my tanner about this too. To tan it will run me $150.00, and I'd hate to spend that and find out the hair slipped and there are bare patches on it(unsellable). Any more words of wisdom...eh?
By the way Mark, I do have a nice Canadian rack to go with da cape. My "showroom" has a 7' ceiling. Enough said.
Thanks,
Doug

Talk to the tanner Doug

This response submitted by Mark C on 11/13/01. ( ) 198.92.78.3

Just give them a call and explain about the cape. See if you can work out an aggreement ahead of time in case it is bad. They should be able to tell after they rehydrate it or at least take extra precautions and care. If you aren't useing Wildlife Gallery, you might want to consider them. You could drive it over there and save on shipping.
Oh, and about the 7' ceilings, you could always cut the antlers off flush to the ceilng and put the rest on top your roof. LOL, careful you don't bump your head eh?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu