Dall Sheep Bleaching

Submitted by Hugh on 1/7/02. ( Hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.178

I am working on my first Dall Sheep and when the cape came back from the tannery it is still quite yellowed and stained in spots. Any suggestions on what you sheep guys use to bleach out the cape?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Basic White and 30% Peroxide

This response submitted by George on 1/7/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.8

Go to your nearest beauty salon supply store and buy them. Mix as per directions and rub the solution into the cape. Let set 20 minutes, no more, then wash out. If a stain persists, treat the hide once more (no more after that) and wash it out. The next step, often ignored is to wash the hide with a good shampoo and THEN a good conditioner. Joe Romero in Anchorage actually keeps a spray bottle of conditioner near his work so he can treat the mount as necessary to get the soft white inner wool fluffy. This makes the mount look more lifelike.

Dall Sheep Bleaching

This response submitted by Hugh on 1/7/02. ( Hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.178

George,

Thanks for the input. Did you do your bleaching/washing/conditioning on the hide before or after you mounted it?

Hugh

Normalizing Lotion

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 1/7/02. ( jimmarsico@vcn.com ) 209.193.81.174

You must use a normalizer after bleaching or you WILL have brittle hair in time; I use Regenal instant pH normalizing lotion, just follow the directions. This is a MUST DO! I've bleached them before and after mounting and think before is better because you can rinse them easier in the sink etc. If after mounting do the same day because the mount gets very wet; just use a bath towell to help dry.e

Agree Jim

This response submitted by George on 1/7/02. ( ) 152.163.188.68

That's what I get for relying on memory. I think BEFORE is the best for the same reasons. I have done some spot bleaching afterwards and I know many follow a Breakthrough article from years ago where the mixture was whipped into a froth and painted only on the hair tips. When it dried, it was simply brushed away.

Dall Sheep Bleaching

This response submitted by Hugh on 1/8/02. ( ) 24.213.59.178

Thank you gentlemen, next week I guess I venture into that no-man's land of beauty supply shops. I appreciate your help!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu