Boiling whitetail skull / antlers too long?

Submitted by Brad on 1/9/02. ( ) 165.247.140.20

I have a set of antlers off my buck from this fall. I removed them
with a simple skull cut (leaving about 1/4 of the skull with them).
I used my knife to remove as much of the skin, hair, and cartilage as I could.
I boiled them tonight in water for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I removed the skull from the pot and picked off a bunch more hair and cartilage with a small pair of needle-nose pliers. The skull is starting to clean up nicely, so I'd like to continue this process until I get the skull completely clean. However, I'm worried that if I boil it too long I may weaken the antlers where they attach to the skull and they could fall off.
My questions are:
1. Am I safe to keep boiling the skull area, or will it weaken
the antlers' attachment to the skull? Is it safe to boil them
1 hour? 2 hours?...
2. Once I get the skull completely clean, what is the best way
to make all the bone bright white?

Thanks for any help!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Simmer,don't boil

This response submitted by Leah on 1/10/02. ( ) 67.201.26.190

Brad, just simmer them on low in Arm and Hammer laundry detergent and the meat and fat will gel up and literally fall off. I have never had a set of antlers that fell out of the skull plate from boiling. If they did, we'd all be in trouble when we went to mounting them.The only way they'll fall off is if it was late season and they were ready to shed off anyways, you would have found out by now I'm sure. You only need to boil them until they're clean, no need to let them keep going or it will turn the skull chalky. Mine are usually really white after they dry or you could use peroxide.

very very stupid

This response submitted by Dustin Ambort on 10/15/2002. ( ) 216.165.165.130

This was the gayest thing i have ever read shut up and get of the internet!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu