adding 7 inches to lenght of neck of elk form

Submitted by dwl on 1/14/02. ( ) 168.178.126.147

I was mounting a bull this week end test fit cape and figured out the neck was 7 inches to short so altered form and re test fit of cape fits good the neck looks a little long when you look at the form. This is a 400 bull. any body ever had this sort of problem?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

did you stretch the hide enough?

This response submitted by JEM on 1/14/02. ( ) 208.48.229.66

DWL, most of my elk capes are very long and very thin when I get them back from the tannery. Being a thick hide it takes some work to get them stretched back to size. Seven inches seems like an awful lot to have to add to a form of this size. My bet is that you could have stretched most if not all this back into the hide.

Sounds too long

This response submitted by George on 1/14/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.238

Anytime I have to ADD neck material to a form, I can bet I screwed up the measuring someplace. I think you stretched the hide too far. Elk have long necks already and adding 7 inches is a whole lot. (For a 400 class animal, I hope you reinforced the repairs with a 2x4.) I trust the skulptors more than my skin if the initial measurements are right.

my inintial measurements after skinning

This response submitted by dwl on 1/15/02. ( ) 168.178.126.147

The neck measured 31"after skinning and now it measures 32" so I don't think it is longer than it origanally was because the width is actually 1" bigger. This elk is off a game ranch so maybe that is why? yes I did reinforce it with a 1x4. I have never mounted on one by this sculptor. I don't really like it antler block area not deep enough, neck goes from 31" to 36" in a 6" length swell to much to fast. I guess elk are like people come in all different shapes and sizes.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu