How to remove horns from a bison

Submitted by Kent Ringheim on 1/18/02. ( kentringheim@hotmail.com ) 142.165.224.155

I have a bison shoulder mount to do and have cut the horns off the head a couple of inches below the horn. What is the easiest way to get the core out of the horn and what is the next step in treating the horns?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Kent.....

This response submitted by b bishop on 1/18/02. ( bishops@newnorth.net ) 209.83.43.92

go to the archives using the search button and type in your subject. I looked up the exact same thing last night. good info. E-mail me, I would like to discuss this as I now have a buffalo head . Thanks, Brad

Usually takes one hell of a lot of elbow grease!

This response submitted by Troy on 1/18/02. ( truelifetaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.140.31.2

I've done a bunch of these guys. If you have cut the horn away from the skull it's much harder to get out of there. Especially if it's a big bull. Anyway I usually get the water boiling as hard as it will go and stick them in there for about 15-20 minutes. Then take them out and yank like mad while someone holds the skull down. Sometimes I've had to take a knife and cut what I can loose between the horn and the core. It takes about ten times more effort than what it takes to remove pronghorn horns.

Good luck!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu