measuring wet tanned elk cape

Submitted by EX-T on 1/20/02. ( Guneditor@juno.com ) 67.201.229.158

I've done several whitetail, some antelope and mule deer, exotics and small game, but I finally got an elk and decided to send it out to a tannery instead of tanning it myself. I never got around to taking the measurements from the carcass in the field as I usually do, and have never had to measure a cape. When it comes back from the tannery, it will have been wet tanned, and kept frozen until shipped to me. What do I do to accurately measure the cape? It has been fully split up the back of the neck. Can I thaw it for the measurement, then re-freeze it?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Yes, you can

This response submitted by Roger on 1/20/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 65.234.165.209

Don't let it remain thawed any longer than need be, and refreeze as soon as you can. Freeze it while opened, vs. rolling it up.

Just a little more, please

This response submitted by EX-T on 1/20/02. ( Guneditor@juno.com ) 67.201.229.12

Roger,
Thanks for the info on the freezing, but how do I take the measurement? As I wrote, I've only measured actual carcass necks in the field for ordering forms. When placed flat, how do I know when this elk cape is laying right, and that I don't have it unintentionally stretched too long or too wide for an accurate measurement? Thanks.

Lay....

This response submitted by Dan on 1/20/02. ( ) 204.203.54.168

the cape flesh side up. Pull the cape from each side, stretching as you work your way down the cape now come back up to the head pull wide one more time, measure just below the ears and that will be your measurement. After you measure check your catalogs and see what your measurement says in comparison. If it's a 400 B&C bull it's not going to have a 28" neck and if it's a raghorn it won't have a 33" neck. It really is simple once you do it a couple times.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu