will my hog cape spoil

Submitted by travis on 1/30/02. ( starsnead @ msn.com ) 67.192.131.53

I have a boar hog caped and turned i salted it well . this cape will be the first to be sent off to tan and has a thick shield with it being so thick will the salt be enough to dry it and not spoil thanks TRAVIS

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

hog cape

This response submitted by jeremy on 1/30/02. ( ) 209.83.227.161

The salt will not penetrate the shield. It will be better sent frozen or flesh the shield and then salt dry.

From a full time "Boar taxidermist"

This response submitted by Matt C on 1/30/02. ( mbchoate@twlakes.net ) 207.144.106.241

You had better flesh the shield off the cape. Like the reply above said the salt will not penetrate the shield. The few tanneries I have ever dealt with will not even accept a boar cape that has not been fleshed prior to shipping.

hog cape

This response submitted by travis on 1/30/02. ( starsnead @ msn.com ) 63.232.69.181

it has been out with shield on salted for four days do you think it has spoiled or cause hair to slip "75 degrees "

I have since noticed

This response submitted by Travis Snead on 1/30/02. ( starsnead @ msn.com ) 63.232.69.181

I noticed that the area on the cape where the shield covers . the hair is slipping already i rolled it up and put it in the freezer is there somthing i can do to it or is it ruined .

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu